[FT] Hearts 1 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 39)

Tav probably deserves more chances because he's the captain but Gerrard really needs to send a signal to the squad that no one is bigger than the team and he has to drop Tav for the next game.  I don't see any signals that Tav is suffering from a crisis of confidence.  If he was I could understand Gerrard giving him multiple chances.  He's just complacent and that will have a damaging effect on the others around him if he keeps his place.  I was annoyed at McGregor in that game because he allowed his frustration with Tav to show through and it looked like he was deliberately making the riskier pass out to Barisic almost to make a statement that he would rather do that than send it out to Tav.  I understand he's frustrated but that petulance needs to be dealt with too.

On a brighter note it was good to see Kent back.  I'd now like to see him and Ojo supporting Morelos because Arfield is another who is not performing to his standard this season.

BTW, a wee word for big Connor Goldson.  Often the target of some very unfair criticism, I thought he held us together today.  Yes, he was as guilty as anyone of not using the ball well enough at times but I think only him, Davis (for a decent second half) and Morelos can really say they did well enough today.

3 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Tav probably deserves more chances because he's the captain but Gerrard really needs to send a signal to the squad that no one is bigger than the team and he has to drop Tav for the next game.  I don't see any signals that Tav is suffering from a crisis of confidence.  If he was I could understand Gerrard giving him multiple chances.  He's just complacent and that will have a damaging effect on the others around him if he keeps his place.  I was annoyed at McGregor in that game because he allowed his frustration with Tav to show through and it looked like he was deliberately making the riskier pass out to Barisic almost to make a statement that he would rather do that than send it out to Tav.  I understand he's frustrated but that petulance needs to be dealt with too.

On a brighter note it was good to see Kent back.  I'd now like to see him and Ojo supporting Morelos because Arfield is another who is not performing to his standard this season.

Tav has had those chances.  He's been pretty poor for most of the season but seems to be second on the team sheet (behind Ojo).

An off day is acceptable once every 6 or 7 weeks but Tav has had one in all of that period and cost us games. - That results in being dropped! I dont care who it is. 

Pull him aside and explain the situation. He is probably a bit stale at the moment and needs a refresher. So pull him out the side and make him come back better.

These are the decisions Gerrard has to make at Rangers - no trialists here. It annoys me if he cant make a decision like this. The final minute he took a free kick into the box 1) id not have let him take it

Edited by Gribz

15 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think I'm finally on board with the 'Tavernier needs to be dropped' bandwagon. 

I almost mentioned something after the first goal mate but left it. All we have had for the last two weeks in some bears friendly media quarters, is a Tav love in. That not directed at you at all Rousseau, just a observation in general.

He needs dropped, not stripped of the captaincy (that’s hysterical), not embarrassed, not belittled, just dropped because he looks mentally tired, and it has showed all season. We keep going about rotation, then rotate someone else, be that Polster or Flanagan and remind everyone that anyone is fallible, and therefore could be due a rest.

Tav needs dropped , it's quite obvious and clear.

After the woeful goal he conceded,  he didn't hit a pass or cross all match.

93rd min free kick edge of box, he has the bloody cheek to shove Barisic off the ball, in some sort of ego trip, and floats it right into the keeper. Guy's a liability. 

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I almost mentioned something after the first goal mate but left it. All we have had for the last two weeks in some bears friendly media quarters, is a Tav love in. That not directed at you at all Rousseau, just a observation in general.

He needs dropped, not stripped of the captaincy (that’s hysterical), not embarrassed, not belittled, just dropped because he looks mentally tired, and it has showed all season. We keep going about rotation, then rotate someone else, be that Polster or Flanagan and remind everyone that anyone is fallible, and therefore could be due a rest.

There's a 'love in' because a lot of the fans love him and it's fully understandable that he has been given plenty of leeway.  I agree he needs a rest but not sure if the Porto game will be the time to drop him.

I certainly wouldn't drop him for Porto. Perhaps not at all. 

Ojo is a man down though. A completely empty Jersey. 

We are also ruining a cracking player in arfield. 

Ok result I suppose but we didn't look like we wanted to win at all costs second half. Indeed we looked like a draw was fine. 

It comes down to confidence - play him to restore - drop him to drop it. The latter sounds more appealing at the moment. Anyone who thinks otherwise might want to tally up the cost after the Europa league and SPL tables in May.

Its a big decisions and thats what Gerrard is here for. He is a shambles at RB at the moment. A good two years doesnt keep you in the play....as mentioned an off day is allowed but a defender costing goals is a nightmare.