[FT] Hearts 1 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 39)

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I don't know about that. Neither Kent or Jones are goalscorers. A title winning team needs real goalscorers in those positions. As I say all I saw was the highlights but Kent only featured in those to show that he still shoots like an injured centre back.

Yes, when he got a bit of space for his shot, I thought, 'just bend it low into the far corner, and give the 'keeper something to do', but no, he bends it high and away from goal. 

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I don't know about that. Neither Kent or Jones are goalscorers. A title winning team needs real goalscorers in those positions. As I say all I saw was the highlights but Kent only featured in those to show that he still shoots like an injured centre back.

We used Kent a bit too much (for my liking) at the start, even when there was no end-product to what he did (be it goal or assist). Kent rose to the challenge and "made us pay" 7m for him. What Kent always did, go on the park and give you 100 % and more. Harass defenders, follow attackers, try to win the ball back. Same goes for Jones and Stewart. All action players.

Arfield is of that ilk too, but somewhat off the boil. Aribo can do that, if he is used by his fellow players. Ojo is here, there and everyhwere, but far too often tries stuff that may well work in the English u23 EPL as well as looking lackadaisical or disinterested at times. Perhaps that is his style, but ...

When he pops up with the odd assist, super-flick or even goal, all is well. But consistency in that and effort and application has a certain Windass-feeling about it. And that is not what we need in places like Tynecastle ... and we have the players for those game.

I know it is lamenting on a high level, but yesterday the all-action and -application of a pacy and tricky Jones (yep, he is injured, I know), the same from Kent and the invention and close skill control and willingness to shoot from Stewart might have served us better.

Said it before, but IMHO we have a must-play-if-fit clause with Ojo in his loan deal, same as with Kent.

Obviously, yesterday was all about deflection tactics to lure Porto into a mind-trap for Thursday ... :ph34r:

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

What Kent always did, go on the park and give you 100 % and more. Harass defenders, follow attackers, try to win the ball back.

I could do that in bygone days of yore.  We need quality output as well.  That run and shot he had reinforced why I was unexcited about his signing (at that price).  I just hope he proves me wrong.

We didn't play well against Hearts, but the simple fact is that they didn't threaten us other than those first few minutes.  If we hadn't gifted them that goal we would have cruised it, even with a 1-0 margin.  It was the same against Celtic.  We actually weren't in danger in that game despite not playing well.  Again, two gifted goals sealed our fate in that game.  And of course the only other game we've lost is in Europe with yet another gifted goal.  And what's the common factor in each of those games we lost? ...  Tavernier gifting the goals, and not because of bad luck or mistimed tackle.  Each one was a state of brain freeze where he appears to completely lose concentration.  I like Tav but it's clear to everyone that he's costing us big games and he needs to be dropped.  If he's got the strength of character required to captain Rangers, he'll be back soon enough to his best.

Gerrard has everyone on his side but he really needs to demonstrate that he can make these necessary difficult decisions when required.  Even if Pollster and Flanagan are not as good as Tav they must be given the chance, otherwise it causes the other players to question the manager and he can't afford that.  I would drop him for Porto.  The Europa league just isn't as important but it would be a huge statement that no one is undroppable.  If the manager doesn't drop him, I fear that many fans, including myself, will begin to lose respect for our captain and the manager for that matter.  I may get stick for saying that but I can't help feeling like that and I know I'm not alone.

1 hour ago, Briton said:

I could do that in bygone days of yore.  We need quality output as well.  That run and shot he had reinforced why I was unexcited about his signing (at that price).  I just hope he proves me wrong.

Same, it really was a classic Kent moment that we saw very often last season. I hope he proves me wrong too but I think he may perform better in a slightly different role which takes emphasis off his weaknesses, maybe being played on the right instead of the left. 

42 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

We didn't play well against Hearts, but the simple fact is that they didn't threaten us other than those first few minutes.  If we hadn't gifted them that goal we would have cruised it, even with a 1-0 margin.  It was the same against Celtic.  We actually weren't in danger in that game despite not playing well.  Again, two gifted goals sealed our fate in that game.  And of course the only other game we've lost is in Europe with yet another gifted goal.  

That is true. I only got to watch some of the game in the second half but I actually found it very similar to watch to the game when we beat them 2-1 there last December to go top of the league. We were lauded for a great performance that day but actually all we did was get the goals we needed and then saw the game out, we hardly played any football.

We've only conceded 6 in the league and most haven't been down to bad defending per se.

• Kilmarnock - the only goal conceded which was plain old bad defending
  • Hibs - a quality goal, hard to blame defence
  • Celtic - 1 brainfreeze and 1 counter attack
  • Livingston - just a silly penalty
  • Hearts - bizarre brainfreeze again 
Edited by DMAA

A key point is that once again Alfie dug us out of a hole and I dread to think what would happen if he were to leave in January. One place we may not be is in the EL groups since again it was him who got the crucial goal against Legia.

If he leaves in January I don't see us winning this league. He's currently irreplaceable.

We’ve only lost 6 goals in 9 league games so far which isn’t the worst by any means. And at least a couple were very preventable.

However for me the key question now is who drops out now Ryan Kent is almost back. I think most would expect Ojo ( and I wouldn’t disagree) but I wonder if SG might be tempted to play them both? 

56 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

We’ve only lost 6 goals in 9 league games so far which isn’t the worst by any means. And at least a couple were very preventable.

However for me the key question now is who drops out now Ryan Kent is almost back. I think most would expect Ojo ( and I wouldn’t disagree) but I wonder if SG might be tempted to play them both? 

Ojo will play RW Kent LW and will change back and forth