22 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Obviously there is stuff to debate, for example the situation in Northern Ireland and the impact of the Good Friday agreement and where the customs border will be. Perhaps you don't care as to whether or not the agreement makes Irish unification more likely, but there's plenty who do, and it's only proper to have a debate on it.

Agree  that debate is needed and the last 3.5 years have given ample time to debate and they now have proposed and agreed to use technology that has been available for years and is used on the Swiss border with the EU. The GFA has been deliberately blown up out of all proportion to be used as a barrier to Brexit. There is a very good article from an Irish trade expert who rubbished the claims that the agreement would impact the GFA.....I'll dig it out if i can find it - good for Insomnia ;) 

16 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Agree  that debate is needed and the last 3.5 years have given ample time to debate and they now have proposed and agreed to use technology that has been available for years and is used on the Swiss border with the EU. The GFA has been deliberately blown up out of all proportion to be used as a barrier to Brexit. There is a very good article from an Irish trade expert who rubbished the claims that the agreement would impact the GFA.....I'll dig it out if i can find it - good for Insomnia ;) 

But it's not just trade that's the issue...

29 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

A better description might be to call it the bad Friday agreement as if I remember it let's lots of murderers some mass murderer's walk free .

Anyway it looks like we might be voting again before the years end .

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

You're right, but this is the one element the EU have come back to time and time again in order say the UK's plans are not enough and they would need to construct a hard border to manage this, despite the UK insisting this could be done with Tech - which is what they finally agreed to (as well as the right to cancel by the NI executive..when it sits!)

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Is that a definite? I'd read that there was some dubiety as to whether that was definitely the case.

I think it was they could keep/cancel the different management of how NI trade is proposed to work under Brexit v UK trade every 4 years.... may need to confirm.

On 21/10/2019 at 16:19, compo said:

In the past few years we've had a couple of referendums and the losers as we all know have plain refused to accept the results , should it not be that a referendum result should be implemented without all this debate by the politicians after all it was them that asked the voter to decide to leave the EU and up hear to remain part of the UK maybe after the next election we will have groups saying we don't accept the result we want another election and it will go on and on .

Do you still have faith in democracy.

I don't accept the result because I believe the Brexit campaign was dishonest and was assisted by foreign actors.  I also believe the voting age should have been lowered to 16.  There's also the 40 year drip drip campaign from the likes of The Daily Heil, The Express, The Supersoaraway Sun, The Torygraph et al. that has played on British xenophobia, leading me to distrust the British people's ability to make an informed decision; no, I don't have faith in that kind of democracy.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

Do you ever give any consideration to your own ability to make an informed decision?

Yes... and I'd can think of many people I'd trust to make an informed decision.  Not the British public as a whole though given the misinformation that they were fed during the campaign and through the press over the last 40 years.