[FT] Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell (Defoe 45+1; Helander 79)

Last time we debated Tavernier I said we couldn't improve on him with our budget. Well Celtic picked up Jeremie Frimpong (18) for about 300k apparently and it's very early days but he looks outstanding and unfortunately it looks to me like they have another big asset on their hands. Why Man City gave him away for next to nothing should be investigated, Mark Lawwell pulling some strings I think.

Having said that, whilst I'd have no problem with Polster getting an opportunity in a lower risk game Tavernier needs the backing of the fans. Gerrard was right to call out the fans who were getting on his back unncessarily, that kind of thing is terrible for your confidence. 

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

As I said on last night's pod, we don't have any low risk games at the moment so that's why it's tricky to try and rotate in a Polster or Flanagan.

Unless we try, we'll never know how they will cope. The luck we have had may well mean that we lose Tav right ahead of a big EL or OF game and will have to shuttle one in that has next to no game-time. I for one would assume that Ross County will not wreck Polster's career with us.

4 hours ago, der Berliner said:

For all his assists and being fouled (sic!) for a penalty, we will never know how good or bad any other right fullback that we have will perform unless we replace Tav with those we have. Be it Flanagan or Polster, for that matter. And that also  goes with Bluedell's remark that Tav is vital for our style, BTW. One may also point at his utter lack in quality delivery from corners, free-kicks et al ... and one or two decent crosses per game do not cancel that out. For the best part of 18 months or so. Here the bucket ends in SG's hands, since he says who delivers and takes those. And at one point, you would have to say enough is enough. I simply expect a decent fullback to put in decent crosses every now and then or drawing a foul here and there, or score a goal from open play or free-kick. 

We've seen Polster and Flanagan playing right back. Neither are able to do what Tav does. 

I think you're failing to understand what Tav provides to the team. They wouldn't be in the same positions, drive at defences, draw people out of position etc etc. 

You're also ignoring Tav's many assists etc. 

That's not to say that he should take all the penalties or free kicks, which is a different issue. 

31 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Unless we try, we'll never know how they will cope. The luck we have had may well mean that we lose Tav right ahead of a big EL or OF game and will have to shuttle one in that has next to no game-time. I for one would assume that Ross County will not wreck Polster's career with us.

No of course it wouldn't but it could wreck our title aspirations.

For example, I think most people would concede that Tav didn't play that well yesterday in the first half and then missed a crucial penalty.  He did, however, improve in the second half and still created the winner with a sublime corner kick, along with the penalty he also won.

Now, I've quite liked the look of Polster and Flanagan has been largely reliable when he's played too but I don't think either would provide the same key benefits to the team that Tav does.  Sure, we won't know unless we try them but, all things considered, I can see why the manager wants to stick with his captain.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

We've seen Polster and Flanagan playing right back. Neither are able to do what Tav does. 

I think you're failing to understand what Tav provides to the team. They wouldn't be in the same positions, drive at defences, draw people out of position etc etc. 

You're also ignoring Tav's many assists etc. 

That's not to say that he should take all the penalties or free kicks, which is a different issue. 

No, no, and no. Polster has played in 3 games this season, 206 minutes, with one assist. He sure did not let us down. 6-0 St. Joseph's (90), 5-0 Hamilton(26), and East Fife (90). Tav has played 19 games, 1.710 mins with 3 goals (1 free-kick, 2 penalties) and 8 assists. How someone can claim that Polster won't offer what Tav does with the former hardly on the park is a bit beyond me. Same goes for the 2nd argument ... and the 3rd. Much of what Tav did in his first season(s) was down to his link-up with Candeias, who also backed him up defensively. Tav hasn't got that cover this seasonor last, but we have better DMs in Jack and Kamara who cover for him

And obviously, as I said, while hardly forgetting his assist rate, I can also hardly ignore the vital goals he cost us, be it that killer back-pass at the last game at the Scumhut which killed any hopes of 55 there and then, nor e.g. his attempted clearance header vs Hearts last week.

It is not black and white, but with Tav the colour-tone changed quite a bit these last 18 months ... IMHO.

21 hours ago, BEARGER said:

1. Guy in front of me giving the nazi salute (I know) when the poppy party were making their way to centre circle. I asked him if he thought that was appropriate. Usually it’s a guy with his young son in these seats.

Tell us everything about this conversation.

15 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Tell us everything about this conversation.

That was about it. He said nothing to me just scowled and turned away, the bint he was with said something to him. Usually a guy with a young kid about 2-3 years sit there, must have  used Seatsub. Probably wrong to go on looks but I doubt he’s anything to the ST holder who is an Ok guy.

5 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

That was about it. He said nothing to me just scowled and turned away, the bint he was with said something to him. Usually a guy with a young kid about 2-3 years sit there, must have  used Seatsub. Probably wrong to go on looks but I doubt he’s anything to the ST holder who is an Ok guy.

But what did you say, precisely?

Did you explain that it was a 'nazi salute' to him?

3 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

But what did you say, precisely?

Did you explain that it was a 'nazi salute' to him?

Oh, sorry. I tapped his shoulder he turned round and I said  something like “do you not think that’s inappropriate to be doing that especially today”. Never explained anything to him.