[FT] Rangers 2 - 1 Motherwell (Defoe 45+1; Helander 79)

21 hours ago, Frankie said:

As I said on last night's pod, we don't have any low risk games at the moment so that's why it's tricky to try and rotate in a Polster or Flanagan.

When's our next low risk game, after the title has been clinched? ;)  

16 hours ago, craig said:

Are you seriously trying to compare their stats when Polster's game time has been against St Joseph's, Accies and East Fife ?  WHilst Tav has played against Feyenoord, Porto, Celtic, Aberdeen etc ?  Hardly a fair comparison towards Tav when the standard of player he is up against is far, far higher than that which Polster has been up against.

I am not anti-Polster and think he offers us something - but that comparison is grossly unfair to Tavernier.

Read again. I simply listed the games Polster played in, he hardly failed and from 200odd minutes it is a bit of a stretch to say that he won't be equal to Tav's contribution.

BTW, when we play 4-3-3 or the like, I want 4 defenders defending and 6 players scoring goals. If a defender pops up with the odd assist or goal, even better. For the best part of 2,25 seasons we have had a Rightback his is well able to go on the offensive, but also has time and again let his defensive duties slip. Maybe it is time to promote him to right midfield every now and then? No wait, a couple and a half decent crosses per game of which some make it into the assist book might not be deemed good enough in that role.

SG made him captain and IMHO burdened Tav as well as himself there. A few weeks ago he says no-one is undroppable and he will switch Tav if he deems that appropriate. Tav goes in and "flops" at corners and free-kicks (as he has done for the best part of 18 months), shows the odd and almost predictable on nigh-fatal defensive lapse and now we shall back him? How long shall that continue?

Apart from McGregor and perhaps Goldson (who gets FLAK as well), nigh every position on the park sees changes and people rotate according to the game and opposition at hand, as well as form. IMHO, right-back or captain ain't sacro-sanct, not least if the player is equally fluctuating in his performance levels as others. Maybe Tav will turn the corner and I doubt he will be dropped for tomorrow, yet, as craig put it so adequately in days gone by: if it is a spade, you can call it a spade. Tav has had months upon months to get his shooting act together and no matter how many (or few) stinging flanks he whips in (which others will do too, BTW) and earns more game time credit, it is an area of the park that needs improvement, much like we did elsewhere.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

BTW, when we play 4-3-3 or the like, I want 4 defenders defending and 6 players scoring goals. If a defender pops up with the odd assist or goal, even better. For the best part of 2,25 seasons we have had a Rightback his is well able to go on the offensive, but also has time and again let his defensive duties slip. Maybe it is time to promote him to right midfield every now and then? No wait, a couple and a half decent crosses per game of which some make it into the assist book might not be deemed good enough in that role.

You may want 4 defenders defending but nobody in the management team does. They want the full backs charging up the park. That's the way that most successful teams do now and we're not going to stop that approach.

Against Porto we had our non-central front 2 playing narrow, our full backs bombing up the park and our non-central midfielders covering the full backs. 

We haven't played with "4 defenders defending" since Ally and we're not going back any time soon.

22 hours ago, der Berliner said:

No, no, and no. Polster has played in 3 games this season, 206 minutes, with one assist. He sure did not let us down. 6-0 St. Joseph's (90), 5-0 Hamilton(26), and East Fife (90). Tav has played 19 games, 1.710 mins with 3 goals (1 free-kick, 2 penalties) and 8 assists. How someone can claim that Polster won't offer what Tav does with the former hardly on the park is a bit beyond me. 

I think that's the problem. You don't seem to understand what Tav gives us. 

You can't assess it on assists or goals. 

Polster hasn't shown the same level of driving forward, taking up the positions that Tav does or attract the attention from the other team. Obviously the management team agree as Polster didn't make it into Sunday's 18.

19 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I think that's the problem. You don't seem to understand what Tav gives us. 

You can't assess it on assists or goals. 

Polster hasn't shown the same level of driving forward, taking up the positions that Tav does or attract the attention from the other team. Obviously the management team agree as Polster didn't make it into Sunday's 18.

... it is exactly what I DO NOT DO. What I see for these last 18 months is dozens of free-kicks into the gallery, corners going astray and attempted crosses not beating the first man or reaching no-one. All "seemingly" swept under the carpet by his "great contribution elsewhere" and his numerous assists and goals.

What I fear is that we will keep him despite his shortcomings up until he's injured and then we have 1 or 2 players that have hardly touched a ball all season. Preferrably before an OF game or the like.

It is no hatchet job on Tav and I sure value his worth to the team. But I see no reason why his role and position seemingly is sacro-sanct, no matter where we play and against whom.

As we don't have a Ross County thread just yet ... I expect a tough game against a fighting team, so hopefully we will go for it from the off. Maybe it is time to "utilize" our fullbacks as "wingbacks with cover", so they can go forward and we have people keeping our area clean.

Foderingham

Edmundson - Goldson - Katic

Tavernier* - Davis - Jack - Kent - Barisic

Stewart

Defoe

... or however you will place anyone in front of the back-three.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

As we don't have a Ross County thread just yet ... I expect a tough game against a fighting team, so hopefully we will go for it from the off. Maybe it is time to "utilize" our fullbacks as "wingbacks with cover", so they can go forward and we have people keeping our area clean.

Foderingham

Edmundson - Goldson - Katic

Tavernier* - Davis - Jack - Kent - Barisic

Stewart

Defoe

... or however you will place anyone in front of the back-three.

If playing a 3-5-2 it would actually offer the opportunity to bring in Polster.

However, there is virtually no chance Gerrard goes with a 3-5-2