[FT] Ross County 0 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 20, 71; Jack 29, 37)

The County v the Rangers is on tonight at Victoria Park, now grandly named the Global Energy Stadium, Dingwall. I’ve been there a few times when Elgin City played – and usually pasted – them. No one in those distant days would have thought that Ross County would ever play in the same league as the mighty, world-famous Rangers but here we go and it’s not the first time. Nine matches have taken place, six in the league and three in cup ties. Rangers are unbeaten in these games but three have been draws, two of them at Ibrox and most of the results have been close. Another close win will do this evening to keep pace with the other contender for the championship but to emphasise title-winning credentials, to increase team confidence and to put fear into the hearts of the rest of the clubs in the league, a victory by more than a few goals would be most welcome.

Have Rangers got a team to do that?  Of course they have. Will this be it?

Foderingham (McGregor apparently an injury doubt)

Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barasic;

Davis, Jack, Kamara;

Ojo ( of course) Arfield

Morelos.

Kent and  Barker are injured again. With them absent, Murphy would have been useful. It won’t happen but omitting Ojo or Arfield and playing Defoe up front with Morelos pulled back a bit might be interesting and I think Tav needs a rest so I’d try Polster. Arfield is also weary so I’d pick Stewart. Good luck for Rangers, isn’t it, that I don’t pick the side and Steve Gerrard does.

County will field a big, competent side. They have had some pretty fair performances. They are close on the heels of Aberdeen, Scotland’s second club apparently, and well ahead of Hearts and Hibs. It will insult their followers dreadfully if I say they remind me of ICT a few seasons back, a team that doesn’t give up and gets results when not expected. 

The weather is cold but dry and not much wind. It’s on BT TV. The County badge is Cabar Feidh, the Stag’s Antlers. Take care, Rangers. Don’t get impaled on the horns of the deer. 

While Ross County would be viewed by most as one of the lesser lights in the league they appear capable of scraping into the top 6 and are developing into league draw kings.

So far in October they have registered two draws and one loss that loss being away in yahoo land and in their most recent game snatched a draw away at Easter road after being 2-0 down. What may be more relevant regarding tonight's game is their last home match which was a 2-2 draw against bottom club St Johnstone.

In that game SJ dominated the play with 56% possession and 17 shots at goal to 7 for County with 10 SJ shots on target to just 3 for County 2 of which they converted.

This may suggest that like many others they will be dogged in defence while hoping to catch something on the break or from a set piece which Rangers will obviously have to be wary of. While overall I would expect a win that win may prove to be narrow against a team who will dig in like ticks in an effort to frustrate.

And as we all know Rangers sometimes struggle against such strategies but again could still win this comfortably particularly so if an early goal or two is achieved. To me every point is precious/crucial right now as we head towards the Winter break and a collision with the main competitor on 29th December.

We really need to go into that break at least on level terms or at worst within 2 or 3 points.

Anything less than a win tonight  while not fatal at this early stage could be extremely detrimental. 

1 hour ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

McGregor is out - didn’t travel 

Neither did Barker, Kent & Edmundson 

I’d start Stewart in place of Arfield 

Yeah. this always looks one of the tighter pitches so I expected Stewart to start.

Big night for Aribo, Ojo and Arfield amongst others.