General Election 2019

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

What is the lesson? 

Ditch the identity politics and stop sitting on the fence regarding recent constitutional referendums.

Labour have missed a huge opportunity to govern the country.

7 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Apparently there is a rumour that Tommy Robinson aka Yaxley-Lennon has just joined the Tory Party. If true it just proves how far to the Right it has shifted; 

The Conservative Party is barely conservative.  Calling them far Right is ridiculous. 

Edited by Gonzo79

14 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I remember Rod being interviewed when he opted to go into tax exile. "How would you like 90% of your earnings to be taxed?" he opined to the reporter.

"I wouldn't mind 10 per cent of your income," came the reply.

Was 98% actually, 83% tax and an additional 15% supplement on unearned income (which included performers royalties).

4 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

No the country told us to Get Brexit Done. Now we want  the 350 Million for the NHS and all the extra nurses and police you promised us.

Voters were three-times more likely to fail to back Labour because of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership than they were over Brexit, according to a new poll.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/jeremy-corbyn/news/108557/voters-ditched-labour-over-jeremy

Another survey by Delta Poll which asked potential Labour defectors why they might vote for someone else or – more likely in an election where the party failed to turn out much of its base – for no one at all. Fully 46 per cent cited Jeremy Corbyn as a reason, compared to just 19 per cent who said it was about Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-jeremy-corbyn-general-election-brexit-boris-johnson-leadership-a9247296.html

Shadow cabinet figures such as Richard Burgon were quick to praise the Labour leader’s decency and integrity in broadcast interviews overnight – but after the exit poll came in many candidates said that on the doorstep it was his lack of popularity that cost them. Corbyn went into the campaign with the lowest net satisfaction ratings of any opposition leader since the late 1970s (Ipsos Mori). Among older voters, Labour campaigners said his past support for the Irish republican movement came up repeatedly on the doorsteps. In London, antisemitism and what people perceived as the absence of an apology appeared to be a key issue. Ruth Smeeth, a longstanding Corbyn critic who expected to lose her Stoke North seat, told Sky News the blame for the predicted result lay with the leader. She said: “His personal actions have delivered this result for my constituents and for swathes of the country overnight.” Toby Perkins, standing in Chesterfield, said the election was tough and in part due to the “monumental unpopularity” of Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/13/five-reasons-why-labour-lost-the-election

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Ditch the identity politics and stop sitting on the fence regarding recent constitutional referendums.

Labour have missed a huge opportunity to govern the country.

Actually I agree with both your points; the fence-sitting was entirely the result of right wingers in Labour forcing Corbyn to adopt a position he was not comfortable with. So they are the ones who should take the rap.

14 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Apparently there is a rumour that Tommy Robinson aka Yaxley-Lennon has just joined the Tory Party. If true it just proves how far to the Right it has shifted; not so long ago decent tories like Heseltine, Major and Clarke would have been appalled.

Rumour you say, rumour.

You told us you didnt read The Canary anymore 9_9

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/12/13/johnson-wins-not-just-the-election-but-the-full-backing-of-the-far-right-around-the-world/

3 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

I didn't read it in The Canary. Was in a facebook group where one person claimed it was true. That's why I said 'rumour'. Mustn't take everything at face value must we?

Edit: I have just read your link and Tommeh himself claims it! Maybe you are the one who reads the Canary in the same way that marxists read the FT.

This will not do the image of the Tory Party any good at all.

Edited by alexscottislegend
extra

12 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

Flippin' eck! Not even Labour under Corbyn were proposing that.