General Election 2019

With this election I think I might have arrived at the end of any interest in politics, certainly with party politics. I'm overwhelmed by advice about which parties I shouldn't vote for and who cannot be trusted and who is unfit to govern. But nowhere do I see any compelling reason to vote for anyone. If politics really has come down to voting only for the least worst option then holding an election won't solve anything for anyone.

Perhaps I'll change my opinion as polling day approaches but at the moment I find I'm avoiding all mention of the election in the media. I don't care to listen to politicians any more or read analysis of party positions. I'm dreading the deceit and hysteria of the next five weeks. I doubt I'm the only one. The political system is broken and we're being asked to endorse the mess. Not for me.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

With this election I think I might have arrived at the end of any interest in politics, certainly with party politics. I'm overwhelmed by advice about which parties I shouldn't vote for and who cannot be trusted and who is unfit to govern. But nowhere do I see any compelling reason to vote for anyone. If politics really has come down to voting only for the least worst option then holding an election won't solve anything for anyone.

Perhaps I'll change my opinion as polling day approaches but at the moment I find I'm avoiding all mention of the election in the media. I don't care to listen to politicians any more or read analysis of party positions. I'm dreading the deceit and hysteria of the next five weeks. I doubt I'm the only one. The political system is broken and we're being asked to endorse the mess. Not for me.

Leader debates and slander politics is where we are at. I see the nationalists were having a tantrum as they can’t partake in the national televised debate. They are delusional, utterly bereft of any independent self awareness? Totally agree Bill, I have taken to just turning it in on to TalkSPORT.

Agree with you, Bill. I used to take a keen interest in politics, knew the names of  the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet and the prominente in all parties but now, to my disgrace, I cant be bothered. This is partly due to the utter incompetence of the Conservatives since 2026 but partly due to the trivialisation of politics by the parties’ PR idiots spawned by Blair/Campbell and by hysterical broadcast journalists exaggerating wildly.

I’ve voted Conservative more often than I have voted Labour and will do so again because the constituency candidate is sound and the alternative SNP is unthinkable.

23 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Agree with you, Bill. I used to take a keen interest in politics, knew the names of  the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet and the prominente in all parties but now, to my disgrace, I cant be bothered. This is partly due to the utter incompetence of the Conservatives since 2026 but partly due to the trivialisation of politics by the parties’ PR idiots spawned by Blair/Campbell and by hysterical broadcast journalists exaggerating wildly.

I’ve voted Conservative more often than I have voted Labour and will do so again because the constituency candidate is sound and the alternative SNP is unthinkable.

Is it a disgrace? Or a justifiable conclusion?

57 minutes ago, Bill said:

Said as much years ago (not just the UK)

#Revolution !!!

What is coming down the road is very ugly...

Just now, Bluedell said:

Yeah, I'm left to vote tactically to prevent the evil of nationalism, rather than what will benefit the whole country and, as such, the manifestos become irrelevant.

For a good while it's been the case the the majority of us vote based on a party and its manifesto rather than the quality of the individual local candidates. This time it's going a step further whereby many people will be voting on a couple of issues (pro/anti EU and UK) rather than the quality of the party manifesto.

So much of our attention has been (necessarily) focussed on attempts to dramatically alter the direction of our country that it's damn near inevitable that we're going to end up with a host of clownshoes in control, one way or another - People that we wouldn't touch with a barge-pole if it weren't for the fact that they're standing for or opposing the flying of some flag or other.

53 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

They have NEVER worked

That’s one of the reasons I am voting for the Conservative candidate. Did a skilled job with a fair bit of manual labour required, some of it unpleasant and ghastly hours.  The nats detest him, mostly because they fear him.

59 minutes ago, Thinker said:

For a good while it's been the case the the majority of us vote based on a party and its manifesto rather than the quality of the individual local candidates. This time it's going a step further whereby many people will be voting on a couple of issues (pro/anti EU and UK) rather than the quality of the party manifesto.

I no longer trust any of them to deliver what they espouse, no matter how big the issue. There's not a single political party that I have an ounce of confidence in. What I expect by default is deceit and incompetence. Watching parliament these last couple of years has been an education in the contempt with which politicians regard the electorate. And too much of the electorate treat politics like a soap opera and are only interested in tribal allegiances, with neither interest in nor understanding of serious policy. Perhaps it's never been so true that we get the government we deserve. You keep saying to yourself that it can't get any worse ... but it always does.