• Filip Helander
    • Borna Barisic
    • Ryan Jack
    • Steven Davis
    • Glen Kamara
    • Brandon Barker
    • Ryan Kent
    • Alfredo Morelos

Just when you were thinking he hadn't done much of note in this European game for any interested parties to get more interested, Alfredo comes up with a classy goal and terrific assist to not only win the game but to make us comfortable.

Morelos is the Man

Regards the first goal, a quick mention in dispatches for the part played by Tav and our new right winger, Ryan Jack...what a ball.

Morelos' goal was sublime, but I thought it wasn't really working for him for large spells -- albeit, from the rest of the team being sub par. 

For me, it's Goldson; he was immense, clearing everything, intercepting everything, and never misplaced a pass (some of them were quite audacious passes too). 

19 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Morelos' goal was sublime, but I thought it wasn't really working for him for large spells -- albeit, from the rest of the team being sub par. 

For me, it's Goldson; he was immense, clearing everything, intercepting everything, and never misplaced a pass (some of them were quite audacious passes too). 

I think most of the team struggled for the first 40mins but we did a bit better after that once Jack sat a wee bit deeper (he was quite far forward sometimes, too far IMO).  We were also trying to force things too much in the first half and all our attacking players kept making the wrong choice (Morelos included).

Goldson has been excellent for the last four or five games and, as I've said consistently, is key to the way we play.  Yes, he can perhaps take the odd unnecessary risk now and again but generally his passing his very good and his defensive work solid.  It's no wonder the manager likes him and the younger defenders look up to him.

Worth talking about Helander too who brings good positioning and a calmness to our defending.  The two form a very good partnership and hopefully they keep doing the business.  If not, we're very lucky to have Katic and Edmundson ready to step in.

37 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If you think back to Walter's team in our run to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008 and compare it to SG&Co's team in Europe...You could say that we now have an upgrade in that we have the defensive organisation and ability to keep clean sheets (Tav @ YB notwithstanding) but you can add a cutting edge and the reason we are winning games opposed to draws is mostly down to Alfredo.

The likes of Helander, Goldson and others can help keep it tight but the gold dust is provided by Alfredo.

Edited by buster.