[FT] Livingston 0 - 2 Rangers (Aribo 33, Morelos 52)

It would appear the manager agrees with me on this one.

Steven Gerrard calls for more protection from officials ahead of Rangers' return to Livingston

STEVEN GERRARD believes referees must do more to protect players from serious head injuries as Rangers prepare for their return to Livingston this weekend.

The Ibrox boss was furious earlier in the season when midfielder Joe Aribo had to receive 20 stitches in a nasty head wound after being caught by Ricki Lamie.

Gerrard didn’t place any blame on Lamie but he was upset with performance of whistler Don Robertson as a number of robust challenges went unpunished.

Rangers are back at the Tony Macaroni Arena on Sunday and Gerrard is expecting another physical encounter this time out.

Gerrard said: “Look, we know all about Livingston’s strengths and weaknesses and how they like to play and we will be ready for that challenge. The last game was an eye-opener because the physios were on for head injuries four, five times in the first half.

“There is a lot going on in the media at the moment about head injuries, so all we ask is that across the board, and for both teams, that the referee protects both teams and people are not going off the pitch with 20 stitches in their head because people are leading with their arm. We expect a certain level of protection.

“That is not to take away from what Livingston are trying to do because we accept the fact that that is their style, we respect that. It is none of our business how they play.

“But when our players are going down with stitches in their nose and 20 stitches across their head, it is my job to protect the players.

“For both teams, in any game in this league. The way that concussion works and head injuries, it is across the board in this league.

“One of the things we can improve is the protection of players when it comes to this type of stuff.”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18025051.steven-gerrard-calls-protection-officials-ahead-rangers-return-livingston/

Does anybody expect many changes in our line up? it would be good to give some of the fringe players some game time but at the same time it's a must win game. We should be able to make some changes without weakening the team as we do have quality players not playing.

When will these fringe players get game time?

• Rousseau changed the title to Livingston vs Rangers
40 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Does anybody expect many changes in our line up? it would be good to give some of the fringe players some game time but at the same time it's a must win game. We should be able to make some changes without weakening the team as we do have quality players not playing.

When will these fringe players get game time?

I too think we could give fringe players some time. This isn't going to be about being a better footballing side than them, our second 11 are a better footballing side than them. I listened to a Record podcast discussing this game and every one of them stated the opinion that this is going to be a "horrible game to watch"

I'm tired of the likes of them getting away with what they do and calling it football. Then we whine that no one wants to pony up a good TV deal. Why would they? For a "horrible watch" 

3 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Getting the result comes first coming away unscathed a bonus so if using fringe players they must be ready for a fight.

Might be further incentive for fringe players to really go at it. Gerrard would be sending them out there after telling them you know what they're going to do. Let me see you deal with that. Alfie still has to play. I know he can deal with it. Their problem is dealing with him because he can give them back in spades any shit they want to throw at him.

And Alfie actually seems to be developing into something of a protector of team mates. Look what happens here after Alfie is fouled by a Livi player when we beat them 3-1 at Ibrox.

Alfie is just taking it, no sign of the retaliation we saw last season, basically dusting himself down when he sees Dykes then have an absurd out of play  go at Halliday who is trying to get the ball set up to take the free kick. Video primed to start at the relevant time.

Edited by JFK-1

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Might be further incentive for fringe players to really go at it. Gerrard would be sending them out there after telling them you know what they're going to do. Let me see you deal with that. Alfie still has to play. I know he can deal with it. Their problem is dealing with him because he can give them back in spades any shit they want to throw at him.

And Alfie actually seems to be developing into something of a protector of team mates. Look what happens here after Alfie is fouled by a Livi player when we beat them 3-1 at Ibrox.

Alfie is just taking it, no sign of the retaliation we saw last season, basically dusting himself down when he sees Dykes then have an absurd out of play  go at Halliday who is trying to get the ball set up to take the free kick. Video primed to start at the relevant time.

I actually think Gerrard will start with Defoe in this one.  Morelos has played so much this season already And needs to be kept fresh.

having Morelos on the bench for last half hour if needed is fine.

I also think that’s partly why Gerrard has went for the throat recently by playing Defoe and Morelos together when games are done - in the event we need a goal in last half hour and can have them both on at same time.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I actually think Gerrard will start with Defoe in this one.  Morelos has played so much this season already And needs to be kept fresh.

having Morelos on the bench for last half hour if needed is fine.

I also think that’s partly why Gerrard has went for the throat recently by playing Defoe and Morelos together when games are done - in the event we need a goal in last half hour and can have them both on at same time.

Why would SG want to start with Defoe???

It’s a must win game. Morelos is the best striker we’ve had since McCoist (not forgetting Negri’s 6 months) .

11 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why would SG want to start with Defoe???

It’s a must win game. Morelos is the best striker we’ve had since McCoist (not forgetting Negri’s 6 months) .

Every game is a must win game.  He has already shown he will rotate his team.  We know Morelos is the best striker we’ve had in ages but burn him out at our peril.

we should have more than enough for Livvy, even on their shitty plastic pitch.  Defoe is still a quality striker who knows where the net is.

keep riding Morelos till he’s exhausted and can’t play in important Europa and OF games ??  Not for this bear.

Raging Gary Holt has slammed Steven Gerrard for branding his Livingston side cloggers. Holt also blasted the former England skipper for singling Livi out over head injuries.

Dang as they say in Oklahoma. Wish we could send him the preview. And incidentally nowhere have I seen Gerrard say cloggers or anything like it.