The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

On 29/12/2019 at 00:45, ian1964 said:

A bit too early for me to write him off! the lad has talent.

You make a fair point and no one should just be written off without cause, least of all by me, but even most of the current first team might struggle to maintain a place in Steven Gerrard ambitions. Progress has consequences for everyone, otherwise we'd still have Lassana Coulibaly in midfield and Joe Dodoo up front. Glenn Middleton might have looked like the real deal a year ago but a year from now I doubt anyone would make a place for him. 

Might be the oddest window we have seen in sometime. Last January and in the Summer we all knew there was room for improvement. There's always room for improvement but this time we have a team that according to Gerrard just progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa league from a CL level group. His words not mine.

It's difficult to see how we could strengthen the first 11 in this window without spending major money and I don't see that happening. Though top quality out of contract freebies can often be available in Summer windows and we're now at a level where they need to be exceptional quality to improve anything.

Even the backups are of an impressive quality. Match winner Katic is a backup for crying out loud.

All the talk coming from the club seems to have revolved around trimming the squad of 3rd choices who are never going to get into the picture. Poor Greg Docherty. Even Gerrard feels for him. He would likely have been a starter just a couple of years ago.

The yahoo crowd are screaming for recruitment in January but I feel they may find that despite their notions of great wealth it's they not us who might be hitting a wall. They have a wage bill that requires CL money to maintain. CL money they haven't acquired in the past two seasons and now have real fears of not getting it next either.

Yep. Funny old window.

9 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

What we need, urgently, to recruit is:

2 referees

4 linesmen

2 fourth officials

all of whom must be trained and prepared to adjudicate fairly, and without fear or favour. 

Who would do the recruiting? ?

Just now, Doc said:

You would hope it would be blind lady justice.

But sadly it's more likely to be our morally blind SNP justice minister.

Whoever it is will have to have a season ticket at Parkhead. That’s how things work in Scotland. Ask any Compliance Officer.

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Might be the oddest window we have seen in sometime. Last January and in the Summer we all knew there was room for improvement. There's always room for improvement but this time we have a team that according to Gerrard just progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa league from a CL level group. His words not mine.

It's difficult to see how we could strengthen the first 11 in this window without spending major money and I don't see that happening. Though top quality out of contract freebies can often be available in Summer windows and we're now at a level where they need to be exceptional quality to improve anything.

Even the backups are of an impressive quality. Match winner Katic is a backup for crying out loud.

All the talk coming from the club seems to have revolved around trimming the squad of 3rd choices who are never going to get into the picture. Poor Greg Docherty. Even Gerrard feels for him. He would likely have been a starter just a couple of years ago.

The yahoo crowd are screaming for recruitment in January but I feel they may find that despite their notions of great wealth it's they not us who might be hitting a wall. They have a wage bill that requires CL money to maintain. CL money they haven't acquired in the past two seasons and now have real fears of not getting it next either.

Yep. Funny old window.

That all depends on how you go about your transfer business (exhibit 1: Glen Kamara).

We need a centre forward badly and given circumstances, I'm sure something will be done.

The other thing to bear in mind is the collective, positive, fighting spirit that most within our present squad have.

Any incoming players should be the type who are a good fit in this sense.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Of course.

It'll be interesting to see what areas Gerrard looks to strengthen in January.  I still think the wide attacking areas could be improved - Barker and Ojo are weak links.

Barker was always a handful, but seemingly has never been goings since we signed him (on a free). That said, he had Jones and Kent in front of him and was just back from injury, methinks.

Speaking of Jones, he's one of the main starting contenders on the left wing for Kent, IMHO, at times we could very well use Kent through the middle in games where we don't need 2 DMs.

Should Middleton remain with us, we'd have Kent, Jones, Barker and Middleton for that wing, with Jones and Middelton being able to play across the front three.

Ojo has seemingly fell off the starting roster (IMHO it coincides with the arrival of Kent and Aribo hitting form), and saying that, Ojo at times looks brilliant, but at times also as if he was playing EPL u23 league. A bit like the chap we had last year and who went back home early. 

The main contender for the right wing slot is Stewart, who IMHO has never let us down when being brought in, acting as much as a right winger as well as a playmaker. 

Given that  we essentially have but two strikers right now, plus Stewart, one would assume that we will look for cover there.