The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

I think Barasic, and most Croatian players, would choose Italy over Scotland. Culturally Italy and Croatia are fairly close, it will feel a lot more like 'home' to him. I suspect the type of football played there would appeal to him too. That said, if we keep him until the summer and if we won the league the chance of Champion's League football might persuade a few to stay, Barasic included. I'd certainly be disappointed if we sold him in this window. 

I doubt anyone will be leaving unless:

a) It really is silly money and, b) we have a proven replacement ready to step right in (i.e. not a project player or someone returning from injury).

Someone like Barisic has been superb this season and his performances means our system is much better balanced and makes us less predictable in an attacking sense.  On the other hand, he's just turned 27 and now in his prime meaning if we sell him now, he'll effectively be at the top of his value (Euro 2020 notwithstanding).  As such, whilst we may turn down bids in the region of £10m for example, if we're talking £15m+ then, if we can source an alternative player, then he could be sold.  Same can arguably be said for someone like Kamara who, IMO, isn't irreplaceable.

Morelos is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether and it's just too risky to sell him given what he offers to the team.

32 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I doubt anyone will be leaving unless:

a) It really is silly money and, b) we have a proven replacement ready to step right in (i.e. not a project player or someone returning from injury).

Someone like Barisic has been superb this season and his performances means our system is much better balanced and makes us less predictable in an attacking sense.  On the other hand, he's just turned 27 and now in his prime meaning if we sell him now, he'll effectively be at the top of his value (Euro 2020 notwithstanding).  As such, whilst we may turn down bids in the region of £10m for example, if we're talking £15m+ then, if we can source an alternative player, then he could be sold.  Same can arguably be said for someone like Kamara who, IMO, isn't irreplaceable.

Morelos is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether and it's just too risky to sell him given what he offers to the team.

I think that Barisic is one of our top 3 key players, along with, for me anyway, Morelos and Jack.  He offers balance on that left hand side that Flanagan can't.  And Halliday, whilst he will never let you down, just doesn't offer as much in an attacking sense.  Barisic scares opponents and makes them have to think defensively rather than offensively.  It also, as Frankie says, gives an unpredictability to our attack - when Barisic wasn't playing, or was off-form, opponents let us play down the left side and just shut up shop on the right, because the left offered little threat..... but with Barisic there we have threats down both flanks - and given we play a narrow 4-3-3 it is very important for the full backs to be offering attacking threat.

I don't know who we would get in to replace Barisic if he left that would offer as much as him - I have to admit that, despite being older than Tierney, I would be disappointed if we let Barisic leave for less than they got for Tierney because, as far as I'm concerned, Barisic is a better player, both defensively AND offensively.

I wouldn't let him leave, for any price, in January because I think he is THAT important to our title aspirations.  We would still get excellent money for him in the summer - at least two more EL games and likely to be first choice LB for a Croatian team that are always easy on the eye could very well see his value increase further during the summer.

Strange how transfer gossip should focus on Barisic or Kamara. Both very good players but neither have come close to the contribution of Jack over the first half of the season. If we lost Jack it would, in my opinion anyway, leave a far bigger hole in the team’s prospects. 

13 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

I would really like to see us go get Shankland.

The boy continues to shine and working with Defoe and Morelos could turn him into a top top player.

Think that lot are already looking at him, and they're welcome to him imo ,of course he can score for fun against Partick , but i think he'd be found wanting against serious opposition.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Strange how transfer gossip should focus on Barisic or Kamara. Both very good players but neither have come close to the contribution of Jack over the first half of the season. If we lost Jack it would, in my opinion anyway, leave a far bigger hole in the team’s prospects. 

Maybe the gossip is being generated by agents?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Surprises me too that Jack isn't being spoken about that way because, as I said above, he along with Morelos & Barisic are our most important players - the one thing with Jack over the other two (Morelos & Barisic) is that Jack is Scottish, and his wife's family are massive bluenoses - perhaps other clubs already know he is happy where he is.  Another thing with Jack is that he does that "dirty work" that often goes unnoticed - similar to what Stuart McCall did.

However... don't jinx it by saying it Bill - because the loss of Jack would be massive to us, similar to Morelos & Barisic.

Maybe quite a few English side monitor the "success" of Scottish players of recent seasons, people playing well up here and simply can't hack it in England. For every Andy Robertson (?) there are about 10 to 20 who drop down the leagues quickly or return to Scotland soonish.

Obviously, Jack is class right now, but I would expect the English clubs are wary of our league's quality.

BTW, for all the rumour-mongering out there, there are more factors than agents and money involved. Kamara AFAIK is quite settled and wouldn't want to move. You can't see into players' heads and assume how much they envisage Rangers as a stepstone into the EPL, though probably any professional would want that at some stage. The later for us the better.

One would hope SG & Co. have talked to all players and know the score.