The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Checked said article and it looks no more than wild speculation.

One may argue that Barker has reasonably underperformed, but has been given next to no chance to get any continuous game time whatsoever. That is not solely his fault, but to keep him in any shape or form he sure needs game time, so a loan will be a good option for him. Any cash we will receive should he go will be  a bonus, as he was a freebie. 10k a week? Well, I don`t know the wage structure, so throwing figures about and commenting on them is a waste of space. those sanctioning his deals and wages are those in place right now, and even if he was an Allan signing, someone would have signed under that.

Jones would be somewhat bizarre, unless there was something we don`t know about. Thing is, bar a couple of games, Jones has sure not let us down, is just back from injury and even in that short cameo against Tashkent, he had good spells.

And as a wee remark, after Grezda left, we would essentially sent away any sort of back-up for Kent if those two were going, as they are both left wingers by trade. Any new player would by default be second choice to Kent still.

Hastie back ... so we would have some pressure on Ojo ... who rarely plays these days too? IMHO, our main threat on the right would be Stewart (albeit being a striker first and foremost), who`s injury was rather untimely (how often did we have that?). For some reason or another, we either play Ojo (who far too often slips into "EPL u23 - mode") or shoe-horn Aribo in a right-attacker role that ain`t his. So getting Hastie back to have a real right-winger may help to get more balance. BTW, methinks Josh McPake can`t go anywhere (bar back to the club we loaned him too), so may get a call-up to the first team. Would be interesting, but not a desirable option unless injury and suspension happen by.

EDIT ... just checked Hastie`s stats again, who have changed since he joined us, as Rotherham uses him primarily as a left winger. 16 games, 3 goals, 1 assist. In the 3rd tier of the English game. Dunno whether he will be the spark that tears down the Scottish brick-walls ...

NB: if Kent gets injured, we`d then only have Hastie there as straight cover, Well ...

Edited by der Berliner

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

This is a football forum, people are supposed to believe they are right and anyone who disagrees (including the manager) is an idiot. Unless I’ve been doing it wrong. 

So maybe I underestimate my own footballing expertise. Maybe I do know more than Gerrard. But I can't get away from the fact that he was a somewhat better player than I ever was. ?

59 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Jones would be somewhat bizarre, unless there was something we don`t know about. Thing is, bar a couple of games, Jones has sure not let us down, is just back from injury and even in that short cameo against Tashkent, he had good spells.

I'd agree that it would be bizarre. However I wonder if it's due to the change in  our style of play, where we're not playing a 4-3-3 with 2 wide players any more. 

Even so, it does seem strange that we're considering getting rid.

16 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd agree that it would be bizarre. However I wonder if it's due to the change in  our style of play, where we're not playing a 4-3-3 with 2 wide players any more. 

Even so, it does seem strange that we're considering getting rid.

In his case probably rather a loan. One would hope. IMHO, there is not so much difference in playing style between Jones and Kent (quality aside). Both are pacy, direct and willing to shoot. Thing is that a) Kent will always be first choice and b) both are better in games where the opposition plays an open style.

Against the brickwall brigade, we'd probably need more of the trickery and inventive sort ... which also begs the question why Stewart gets so little game-time (not least with the problems on the right). Likewise, we sure need a poacher who occupies the slot near the penalty spot, where far too often balls run lose and no-one is near or indeed, in sight.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Checked said article and it looks no more than wild speculation.

One may argue that Barker has reasonably underperformed, but has been given next to no chance to get any continuous game time whatsoever. That is not solely his fault, but to keep him in any shape or form he sure needs game time, so a loan will be a good option for him. Any cash we will receive should he go will be  a bonus, as he was a freebie. 10k a week? Well, I don`t know the wage structure, so throwing figures about and commenting on them is a waste of space. those sanctioning his deals and wages are those in place right now, and even if he was an Allan signing, someone would have signed under that.

And as a wee remark, after Grezda left, we would essentially sent away any sort of back-up for Kent if those two were going, as they are both left wingers by trade. Any new player would by default be second choice to Kent still.

Hastie back ... so we would have some pressure on Ojo ... who rarely plays these days too? IMHO, our main threat on the right would be Stewart (albeit being a striker first and foremost), who`s injury was rather untimely (how often did we have that?). For some reason or another, we either play Ojo (who far too often slips into "EPL u23 - mode") or shoe-horn Aribo in a right-attacker role that ain`t his. So getting Hastie back to have a real right-winger may help to get more balance. BTW, methinks Josh McPake can`t go anywhere (bar back to the club we loaned him too), so may get a call-up to the first team. Would be interesting, but not a desirable option unless injury and suspension happen by.

EDIT ... just checked Hastie`s stats again, who have changed since he joined us, as Rotherham uses him primarily as a left winger. 16 games, 3 goals, 1 assist. In the 3rd tier of the English game. Dunno whether he will be the spark that tears down the Scottish brick-walls ...

NB: if Kent gets injured, we`d then only have Hastie there as straight cover, Well ...

At a glance Rotherham look like they're playing well.

They're sitting 2nd in League 1. I've no idea however, if that was expected at the start of the season or not.

Nor how much influence (if any) Hastie has had in that.