The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He wasn't played out wide: we don't play with wingers. 

Just sayin'.

(The idea of building the team around him in a more traditional central position in still valid, though.)

Correct, we don't play with wingers.  However, Hagi was often being asked to play off the striker (Morelos) from a wide(r) position.  Given his vision and given he is two-footed, he would be better suited to playing a more central "10" than he has been.  

Hagi behind Morelos (or whomever his replacement is - Kamberi ??) with Kent left and a new player wide right (possibly even Jones if he can get back to pre-injury form) with Jack/Davis/Aribo/Kamara playing in behind would be a very solid mid and front 6.

By wide, I meant not central. 

Judging by what we have witnessed during 2020, I'm sceptical about this signing because the lad's talent isn't being used correctly by SG.

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

By wide, I meant not central. 

Judging by what we have witnessed during 2020, I'm sceptical about this signing because the lad's talent isn't being used correctly by SG.

I suspect that SG has been suitably impressed not just by the lads talent but also by his grit and determination - enough that I can see Gerrard building the team around him and Ryan Jack - those two should, IMHO, be the pivots around which our team is built.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Correct, we don't play with wingers.  However, Hagi was often being asked to play off the striker (Morelos) from a wide(r) position.  Given his vision and given he is two-footed, he would be better suited to playing a more central "10" than he has been.  

Hagi behind Morelos (or whomever his replacement is - Kamberi ??) with Kent left and a new player wide right (possibly even Jones if he can get back to pre-injury form) with Jack/Davis/Aribo/Kamara playing in behind would be a very solid mid and front 6.

We do have a rather good right winger in Stewart. It is frustrating that we have quite a few good chaps for certain slots, but play the same 3-attackers-line-up that they rarely get on the job. Depending on the opposition, I'd use both Jones and Stewart as wingers, Kent, Hagi and Aribo as the AMs, Jack as DM and three defenders. Kamberi and Morelos up top. Kill them in their own area.

Exclusive: Rangers ready to swoop for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky and complete Ianis Hagi deal

by Danny Stewart
 May 24, 2020, 9:00 am

Rangers are looking to sign a back-up to Allan McGregor, and a move for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky is likely this week.

With Wes Foderingham and Jak Alnwick both being freed by the club, the Light Blues are searching for cover for former Scotland internationalist McGregor.

Robby McCrorie will return from a loan stint with Livingston, but Steven Gerrard wants an experienced keeper for the domestic and European campaigns that lie ahead.

And while Saints boss Jim Goodwin has pledged to do everything he can to hold on to Hladky – whose contract with the Buddies is about to expire – the 29-year-old Czech is very much the obvious option.

His form – an impressive 10 clean sheets in 30 Premiership games in the 2019-20 campaign – coupled with his imminent availability, has drawn attention from both sides of the border.

Before the last transfer window, he himself spoke of interest from Rangers, while Celtic are also known to be admirers.

Sunderland and, somewhat more exotically, MLS side Houston Dynamo, are others who have been linked.

It is the possibility of the switch to Ibrox, though, which would be likely to hold most appeal.

As much as McGregor is very much the dominant No. 1, at 38 years old he is approaching the end of his playing career.

Wages would not be likely to present a problem, with Goodwin having been frank enough to admit there would not be much they could do about it if someone was to come in with a bigger or better offer.

Signing a player with proven ability in the Scottish top flight would also fit in with Rangers new recruitment strategy, with Aberdeen’s Lewis Ferguson and Livingston’s Lyndon Dykes other summer targets.

Meanwhile, Lazio are not ready to give up on their hopes of landing Ianis Hagi.

Rangers have first option to buy the 21-year-old Romanian under the terms of the loan deal struck with parent club Genk in January.

They look set to try to exercise it too, with reports in Hagi’s homeland stating a £4-million fee has been agreed between the clubs.

However, Lazio – whose manager Simone Inzaghi and sporting director Igil Tare are big admirers of the midfielder – are not convinced all is lost.

So much so, in fact, that even if Rangers take up their option to buy the son of 124-cap Romanian legend, Gheorghe, they would not rule out trying to land him by offering an instant seven-figure profit on their purchase.

Buying a player then selling him straight on would potentially fall foul of FIFA.

But the coronavirus crisis is liable to lead to a huge shake up of the regulations concerning this summer’s transfer windows, with many countries in a very different place in terms of their domestic campaigns.

Lazio would have the alternative, too, of hanging fire until January and going back in then to Rangers with an offer.

Adrian Mutu, the Romania Under-21s coach, knows all about Hagi, and believes an eventual switch to the Italian capital would be beneficial for his development.

“I like Hagi Junior. At his age, it is normal to have ups and downs,” he said.

“He played some good games in Scotland, and I think that showed he is well on his way to growing.

“I think he could do very well with Lazio. Inzaghi likes to play with a lot of pace and strike from deep, and for me that is a style of football Hagi Junior could adapt to very well.”

Genk paid Vittorul Constanta £4m for Hagi when he was just 19.

However, while he has impressed as a player of genuine potential, he was unable to hold down a regular first team place with the Belgians so is being allowed to move on.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/exclusive-rangers-ready-to-swoop-for-st-mirrens-vaclav-hladky-and-complete-ianis-hagi-deal/

11 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Exclusive: Rangers ready to swoop for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky and complete Ianis Hagi deal

by Danny Stewart
 May 24, 2020, 9:00 am

Rangers are looking to sign a back-up to Allan McGregor, and a move for St Mirren’s Vaclav Hladky is likely this week.

With Wes Foderingham and Jak Alnwick both being freed by the club, the Light Blues are searching for cover for former Scotland internationalist McGregor.

Robby McCrorie will return from a loan stint with Livingston, but Steven Gerrard wants an experienced keeper for the domestic and European campaigns that lie ahead.

And while Saints boss Jim Goodwin has pledged to do everything he can to hold on to Hladky – whose contract with the Buddies is about to expire – the 29-year-old Czech is very much the obvious option.

His form – an impressive 10 clean sheets in 30 Premiership games in the 2019-20 campaign – coupled with his imminent availability, has drawn attention from both sides of the border.

Before the last transfer window, he himself spoke of interest from Rangers, while Celtic are also known to be admirers.

Sunderland and, somewhat more exotically, MLS side Houston Dynamo, are others who have been linked.

It is the possibility of the switch to Ibrox, though, which would be likely to hold most appeal.

As much as McGregor is very much the dominant No. 1, at 38 years old he is approaching the end of his playing career.

Wages would not be likely to present a problem, with Goodwin having been frank enough to admit there would not be much they could do about it if someone was to come in with a bigger or better offer.

Signing a player with proven ability in the Scottish top flight would also fit in with Rangers new recruitment strategy, with Aberdeen’s Lewis Ferguson and Livingston’s Lyndon Dykes other summer targets.

Meanwhile, Lazio are not ready to give up on their hopes of landing Ianis Hagi.

Rangers have first option to buy the 21-year-old Romanian under the terms of the loan deal struck with parent club Genk in January.

They look set to try to exercise it too, with reports in Hagi’s homeland stating a £4-million fee has been agreed between the clubs.

However, Lazio – whose manager Simone Inzaghi and sporting director Igil Tare are big admirers of the midfielder – are not convinced all is lost.

So much so, in fact, that even if Rangers take up their option to buy the son of 124-cap Romanian legend, Gheorghe, they would not rule out trying to land him by offering an instant seven-figure profit on their purchase.

Buying a player then selling him straight on would potentially fall foul of FIFA.

But the coronavirus crisis is liable to lead to a huge shake up of the regulations concerning this summer’s transfer windows, with many countries in a very different place in terms of their domestic campaigns.

Lazio would have the alternative, too, of hanging fire until January and going back in then to Rangers with an offer.

Adrian Mutu, the Romania Under-21s coach, knows all about Hagi, and believes an eventual switch to the Italian capital would be beneficial for his development.

“I like Hagi Junior. At his age, it is normal to have ups and downs,” he said.

“He played some good games in Scotland, and I think that showed he is well on his way to growing.

“I think he could do very well with Lazio. Inzaghi likes to play with a lot of pace and strike from deep, and for me that is a style of football Hagi Junior could adapt to very well.”

Genk paid Vittorul Constanta £4m for Hagi when he was just 19.

However, while he has impressed as a player of genuine potential, he was unable to hold down a regular first team place with the Belgians so is being allowed to move on.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/exclusive-rangers-ready-to-swoop-for-st-mirrens-vaclav-hladky-and-complete-ianis-hagi-deal/

Personally I don’t think that this is too far from truth 

Hladky did look quite good in a few games I saw him. Although a left field signing could be Joe Hart on loan. He is Experienced, a winner and available.

RE Ferguson and Dykes, do we want to continue cherry picking SPL players when we dont know if they can step it up and would they go into the starting XI? Docherty, Stewart, Jones etc....Yet Jack and Kamara seemed to not let it affect them. With Ferguson he will have his old man and Uncle to guide him.

Fingers crossed on Hagi though, he has talent and that creative spark we need.

On 22/05/2020 at 11:17, Rousseau said:

He wasn't played out wide: we don't play with wingers. 

Just sayin'.

(The idea of building the team around him in a more traditional central position in still valid, though.)

Mores the pity