The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

We've been far too reliant on two or three players these past two seasons and when they're off form, we struggle to break teams down.  We need a better team and we need a spine with a winning mentality.  Goldson, Tav, Jack, Davis and Kamara don't provide that - replace them with winners.

Can we bring in better players than them or do we need a manager who can motivate what we have with a few tweaks here and there?

23 minutes ago, les186 said:

Can we bring in better players than them or do we need a manager who can motivate what we have with a few tweaks here and there?

At this juncture, I'm not sure about the manager situation.  If SG can't turn things round in the coming weeks, I think we might need to look at alternatives, which is extremely disappointing. 

Leverkusen beat Eintracht Frankfurt 4-0 today.  I'm worried about Thursday (and the league is finished). 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Leverkusen beat Eintracht Frankfurt 4-0 today.  I'm worried about Thursday (and the league is finished). 

Im not worried at all about Thursday.

I expect us to be beaten so anything other is a bonus.

They can't stop scoring, against good opponents.  We can't stop conceding, against poor opponents.   

A defeat wouldn't be a surprise.  My worry is that they'll hammer us. 

I hate losing at Ibrox but can accept a good side beating us.  3 or 4-0 humpings are hard to stomach.

Edited by Gonzo79

Rangers consider move for €10m rated striker as Alfredo Morelos replacement

March 12, 2020

Glasgow Rangers are considering making a transfer move for Trabzonspor striker Caleb Ekuban according to Fotospor.

Per the source, Steven Gerrard’s side are looking at options for potential Alfredo Morelos replacements should the Colombia international leave this summer.

Ekuban has been in impressive form for Trabzonspor this season since joining on a permanent move from Leeds.

The 25-year-old joined Trabzonspor on a €1m move after spending the previous season on loan.

Ekuban has directly been involved in 14 goals this season scoring eight times and providing six assists in 24 appearances in all competitions.

Trabzonspor are currently first in the Super Lig and in the Turkish Cup semi-final – where they beat Fenerbahce 2-1 in the first leg.

The Claret-Blues value Ekuban as being worth €10m.

Serie A outfit Lazio could offer Leeds United competition for Ekuban as they are also interested in the striker.

The report claims that Trabzonspor have received a few offers for the in-form forward and are considering their options.

The Black Sea based outfit could be forced to accept offers this summer due to their debt situation.

Trabzonspor are in a poor financial position and facing pressure from Financial Fair Play to stay within their agreed budget.

The club could be forced to sell players to meet their FFP agreement this summer.

Ekuban was born in Italy but represents Ghana at international level.

The Trabzonspor ace has four international caps for the Black Stars having scored two goals in total.

Ekuban has another two-years remaining on his current contract.

https://turkish-football.com/glasgow-rangers-consider-move-for-e10m-rated-striker-trabzonspor-caleb-ekuban-as-alfredo-morelos-replacement/

The price tag on Morelos`head should remain. Spurs were said to be willing to part with 20odd million for Barasic and if someone wants to pay 5+m for Tavernier, we`d have a nice budget to sign Kamberi and Hagi permanently, and get some quality and hardened people able to win us the Scottish league first and foremost.

By now SG should know what is required here and where. The days of fancy folk like Ojo should be behind us now. It gets us till x-mas and then we need guts as much as quality and talent. And some of our current lot have simply been past their sell-by date in terms of that.

Yeah I would be open to selling most of our higher priced assets if it meant we could fund a fair few good players, suppose it's about getting a balance, i'm guessing we will be looking at a few free's as well, I see Kovalenko (Shaktar) and Dzubya (Zenit) are out of contract in the summer, that's the type of player I would be looking at, spend a wee bit more on wages

I think we could do very well if Morelos, Barisic and Tavernier went - the fear, obviously, would be that we would be losing three of our best performers - we need to ensure we get top money for them though. 

Barisic, for me, is a better player than Tierney and, whilst he is older, he is entering his prime - so 20 million should be the least we expect.  That is good money and a healthy profit given we only spent 2 on him.

Tavernier has been a fine servant - I would be expecting more than the 4 or 5 million being asked of him too.  It is EPL clubs looking at him where they spend 80 million on Harry McGuire ? - 5 million is peanuts - we should be holding out for double that IMO.  Which would also give us decent enough money to replace him.

Morelos I would still be expecting 20+ million even given his recent struggles.

That would give us about 50 million in the bank (or at least to be banked) - we wouldn't spend all of that on players clearly as we would look to retain money in the bank.  But that would be a sizeable pot of money.  Hagi and Kamberi would cost about 5.5 million between the both of them. 

We would then need a replacement for Tavernier (unless Gerrard thinks Polster and Patterson are sufficient - depends on what he is looking for given he would lose Barisic's attacking/crossing on one side and Tavernier's on the other) and Barisic - you just have to hope we can find another Barisic, possibly again in the Balkan leagues for a fraction of the income we get from him.

Kamberi would potentially be a Morelos replacement but I would say we would also need a prolific striker.  Hagi could be the #10, but I would also like to see someone on top of that who can beat an opponent and thread a ball.

At the end of the day, it is never easy to lose your best players but a) Morelos and Tavernier have lost form of late so aren't providing as much as we could be doing with b)  it would be a lot of money to leave on the table potentially and c) that money could provide more than adequate replacements as well as strengthen the squad.

It all comes down to our recruitment - and I like the moves that Ross Wilson made in January - Hagi and Kamberi have made immediate impacts - as of now, I trust Wilson to get the recruitment side of the football operations right.