Europa League Group G permutations

15 minutes ago, craig said:

No, I don't think so.  If we end up on the same points as Porto we go through.  Total goal difference counts AFTER goal points and goal difference between the teams tied on points.

if we end up with the same points as Porto AND YB, then we're better than Porto, Porto are better than YB and YB are better than us? 

11 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

if we end up with the same points as Porto AND YB, then we're better than Porto, Porto are better than YB and YB are better than us? 

We would be out as the first rule in a 3 way tie is to deduct the points won against the 4th placed team, and in your scenario where we beat the Dutch but lose to YB and Porto win their 2 games we would be left with just 4 points and be eliminated. 

14 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

We would be out as the first rule in a 3 way tie is to deduct the points won against the 4th placed team, and in your scenario where we beat the Dutch but lose to YB and Porto win their 2 games we would be left with just 4 points and be eliminated. 

Thanks. Given our luck in Europe, that scenario must be worth a bet. 

12 hours ago, Bluedell said:

If Porto win their 2 games, we beat Feyenoord and lose to YB, will it not come down to goal difference between us, Porto and YB so we could still get knocked out? 

The rules around this are posted on the first page of this thread

Just now, Bluedell said:

I read them before posting but wasn't too clear what they meant, ?

The scenario you posted.....If Porto win their 2 games, we beat Feyenoord and lose to YB, will it not come down to goal difference between us, Porto and YB so we could still get knocked out? 

Would see the table...

Porto 10

YB 10

Rangers 10

The tie would be resolved on points won i games between clubs tied (criteria A)

Porto 7

YB 6

Rangers 4

15 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

On oddschecker Rangers are currently favourites to win group G.

It's been oft repeated that Rangers usually find a way to lose it in this kind of scenario and history shows this to have some validity.

However, the way we are playing the game in Europe seems to be different and gives me a degree of confidence that isn't normal in this situation, I'm almost optimistic but would very much like to see the job done in Rotterdam and not depend on the last game.