Filip Helander

I think Goldson is the slowest of the two but his reading of the game and positioning compensate a lot. When he gets pulled out wide though he has been stripped a few times. Of course every defender can get beat for speed especially when you have players like Kent. I think many forwards are in general quicker than defenders so sometimes defenders look slow. I still smile when I think of Ryan Kent stripping Mikael Lustig and Lustig sitting down pleading to be taken off.?

1 minute ago, Bill said:

No it was Carlos Cuellar by a huge margin.

Who was also slow. My point obviously wasn't really about who was best and who was second best. David Weir was excellent for years but the point is our best centre back (or 2nd best if that is your view) was very slow and it wasn't that we just weren't very good, we dominated.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Who was also slow. My point obviously wasn't really about who was best and who was second best. David Weir was excellent for years but the point is our best centre back (or 2nd best if that is your view) was very slow and it wasn't that we just weren't very good, we dominated.

Yeah, more the point being made than the actual player.

Davie Weir was exceptional for us, but probably slower than me.  The difference, which is the point you are making, is that the first 5 yards are in the head with a player like that.  Positioning and seeing a phase of play before it happens negated Weir's lack of pace significantly.

While we’re labelling Goldson, Helander, etc, what exactly is “slow”? I’m not aware there is any specific definition of “slow”. Nor am I aware there’s any routine measurement of any player’s “slowness” by which to exercise judgement. I could be wrong of course, perhaps it isn’t all just hot air. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

Not sure Helander is faster than Goldson.

Not sure if Goldson is even slow at all.

Goldson is certainly not fast, he has been stripped for speed a good few times