Rangers will get £30m for Alfredo Morelos in the summer...

...and staying at Ibrox will benefit him too - Barry Ferguson

Barry has no doubt in his mind that the in-form Rangers striker is worth a small fortune already.

Let me tell you how these things work.

Any day now someone in a position of power at Ibrox – be that Steven Gerrard or Ross Wilson – will sit down for a cup of coffee and a serious chat with Alfredo Morelos. For all we know it may have happened already.

It’ll go something along the lines of: “Right, listen Alfredo, do us a turn here. We’re going to agree to let you go but you’re going to have to wait until the summer. Just give us another few months and you’ll get your move.”

Anyone who thinks that conversation won’t take place is kidding themselves on because sorting out the future of this star is now serious business.

The fact is they have one helluva player on their hands now the Colombian has got on top of the disciplinary issues that nearly cost him his career at my old club.

What we have seen this season is the new and improved Morelos and there’s no doubt in my mind he’s worth a small fortune already.

In fact if he keeps going the way he is then I believe Rangers will end up getting a ridiculous transfer fee for him. How ridiculous depends on which clubs come in for him and also on how he performs between now and the end of the season.

But let’s put it this way. Right now, if I was inviting offers for him on the open market my starting price would be £20million.

People might question that valuation but they just need to take a look at the money changing hands in the English Championship. These guys are moving for between £15m and £20m and they’re playing in the second tier of the English game.

Morelos is scoring goals against Porto and Young Boys in European football. He’s an international and is still only 23 years old which means he won’t even be reaching his peak for another three or four years.

But what would be the point in taking that for him in January when you could be looking at £30m by the summer? Maybe even more.

That’s why I’m so certain there will have been some straight talking done behind the scenes. Morelos looks happier and more settled than he has done at any point since joining from Helsinki.

He doesn’t look to me like a player who is determined to get out the door at the first opportunity and who can’t wait for the offers to start rolling in when the transfer window opens for business.

He looks like a guy who is completely focused on the job in hand and who knows, before he goes, he has a huge part to play in what happens between now and the end of the campaign.

Gerrard has already made it clear he has no intention of allowing the player to leave in January and now the club’s new director of football Wilson has followed up by saying that, financially, Rangers have no need to make a sale in January.

That was refreshing, bold stuff from Wilson and I’m sure his message will have put a smile on the face of thousands of Rangers fans, not to mention Alfredo’s team- mates and manager.

As far as I’m concerned there is no debate any more about the quality of this guy. He’s sorted out his selfish, destructive streak, he’s performing at incredible levels on a consistent basis and, yes, he is scoring in important matches.

That’s the stick his critics like to beat him with but he’s grabbed it out of their hands with his goals in the Europa League and, with two Old Firm derbies on the horizon next month, he might well be about to ram it where the sun don’t shine.

So, yes, there are going to be offers for him in January. I’m absolutely certain of it.

But it suits everyone for Morelos to stay where he is until the time is right at the end of the season.

Of course, it’s good for Rangers because they have a title to try to win. But it’s also good for Morelos because he is improving at an astonishing rate and could be an even better, much more valuable player if he makes the club successful in Europe and in the league.

Look at the change in his game since last season. It’s night and day.

Last season he was looking to fight the world. He was so wrapped up in himself he thought nothing about leaving a boot or an elbow on an opponent – and leaving his team in all sorts of bother with 10 men.

This season he just dusts himself down and gets on about his business. Yes, there’s a competitive fire still burning in his belly but he is thinking now about his team-mates rather than focussing on himself.

He’s letting his football do the talking and he’s become better.

If he scores the goals that win Rangers the title he’ll leave as a hero to the fans and the £20m they might be able to command for him right now will only go in one direction.

And there’s the other great thing from his perspective. The bigger the transfer fee, the bigger the wages he can demand so it does make sense for him to keep the head down and keep doing what he’s been doing.

I can’t give the guy enough credit for the way he has transformed himself. Yes, the manager will have played a part and I’m sure Jermain Defoe has also helped to bring him on but Morelos did the hardest work by himself.

Now he has to maintain the standards he’s set for himself and not allow his head to be turned. Yes, bids will be dropping on Gerrard’s desk soon - and some of them might be very attractive to the player – but there will always be bigger and better.

And the more Morelos gives to Rangers right now the higher he’ll end up going.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-30m-alfredo-morelos-summer-20883977

Just as an aside I listened to a podcast with Barry Ferguson and Keith Jackson they call Fergie time. Jackson tried to push him into commenting on the story linking his nephew to Rangers. Asking things like do you think he would want to go to Ibrox which Barry didn't want to comment on and got him to back off by saying "I don't want to get the boy into trouble"

Ridiculous question anyway. Which young boy in his position with his family history wouldn't want to join Rangers to earn more money and play at a higher level. And if Barry had basically stated the obvious and said it then the boy would have been a hate target for the sheep lot who think anybody playing for them should have no ambition at all.

It would be like us hating Alfie for wanting a move to the EPL. We don't and we wont when it eventually happens. 

If possible, we should be doing everything we can to persuade Morelos to sign a new long term deal. And it will cost us.

The harsh reality is that it will cost a fortune to replace Morelos with a player of his ability. The £1m we paid for him was THE all time bargain 

39 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

If possible, we should be doing everything we can to persuade Morelos to sign a new long term deal. And it will cost us.

The harsh reality is that it will cost a fortune to replace Morelos with a player of his ability. The £1m we paid for him was THE all time bargain 

He's already contracted till 2023 and realistically that will be his last contract with us. He has never hidden what his ambition is and he will be going to the EPL come what may. The best we might get now is hopefully winning the league then persuading him to stay one more year till 2021 to prove himself in the CL which could improve his chances of going to a top 6 side in the EPL.

We're now in a better position to sign more young talent like him than we were when he first arrived. We're qualifying for and competing in Europe which has to be an attraction for the next youngster like him looking for an ultimate move to the top end in the EPL.

Finding it is the problem. JJ deserves a plaque on the wall at Ibrox for the Morelos tip.