2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

No they don't (I work beside fans of both clubs five days a week).  They do, however, expect their teams to be in the top half, with some justification, given their relative size(s).

Wanting your team to have a go during a cup semi-final (you're losing) is what any football fan would do.

Take a look around their forums and you will find the view I attributed to them is common. That's where i'm getting it from it's not just an opinion I formed. They may not be so vociferous face to face I don't know but online they are.

Kilmarnock took 9 points from Rangers last season, Why shouldn't they? It's obviously easy.

And the have a go rant isn't just the cry in circumstances where they're already losing. Apparently sitting in is what gets them losing because Rangers are 'bang average' is a common one. The common strategy of just sitting in isn't working so 'just have ago' from the first seconds in every game.

From a  Hearts forum prior to the cup semi.

We’ll lose this which is a real shame because the Huns are very ordinary. It’s a dereliction of duty to leave sacking Levein until this late before a cup semi. We could have prepared so much better.

A side negotiating it's way through 4 Euro qualifying ties in two successive seasons which no other club in the world has managed is just ordinary. Then when reaching the groups not simply making up the numbers but competing, 'ordinary'

They lost the cup semi not because Rangers have far superior players but because Levein didn't 'have a go' so even with him gone the team don't know how to. Fantasy stuff.

They think because they have something of a financial advantage over much of the league that means they should be brushing them aside with ease.

But that doesn't seem to translate in the opposite direction. The financial advantage we have over them is cavernous in comparison to the edge they have over a St Johnstone but there is no appreciation of that. They should be competing with us.

Same in sheep land where I have seen it stated that if there is no chance of winning the league as 'that hun' McInnes more or less concedes what's the point? May as well just fold and give up.

Which is obviously beyond stupid given that the vast majority of teams in all leagues the world over have little to no chance of ever winning their domestic league. There would be no game if not for those making up the numbers. In Scotland everyone outside the top two is making up the numbers and have been for decades.

That's a reality you would imagine to have been realised by now.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Football forums aren't real life, thankfully. 

Most Hearts fans I speak to think Jambos Kickback is full of lunatics.  And Hibs fans don't foam at the mouth at the mere mention of Rangers.

Actually and this surprises me Hibs fans have of late become a shade more rational than their opposite number at Hearts. All season both have been wishing nothing but defeat on Rangers in Europe but now with the co-efficient rising rapidly and an extra Euro spot within reach hibs fans are starting to see the light.

But not their opposite number who might be viewed at times as a classic example of Scottish football hating itself to death.

I hope both are royal pumped. I couldn’t care one jot about any other Scottish club. **** the SFA, the SPFL and the coefficient. 10 nil lazio please and 10 nil Porto

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I hope both are royal pumped. I couldn’t care one jot about any other Scottish club. **** the SFA, the SPFL and the coefficient. 10 nil lazio please and 10 nil Porto

I’ve got a streak of that in me myself, tbh.

35 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I expect we all do or at the very least a lot of us do. it goes against the grain for me to want them to win but currently we find ourselves in a situation where either us or them losing is detrimental to not just the Scottish game overall but to Rangers as well.

If I were English and a Liverpool fan I expect I wouldn't give the proverbial flying if Man Utd were beaten in Europe and may even be cheering a defeat. But if Man Utd say never won a single game in Europe this season it's going to have little to no bearing on the English placing in the co-efficient table and certainly wouldn't affect England's automatic entries to the CL groups.

As we all know that's not the case for Scotland and further if we and the yahoos can continue the form of the past two seasons into next season we could actually rise to 10th which not only would give the country 2 CL places it would give the Scottish champions automatic entry to the group stages while the runner up enters at QR2.

That has to be desirable. Just win the league and you automatically earn maybe up to £50 million.

On 15/11/2019 at 15:16, Gonzo79 said:

No they don't (I work beside fans of both clubs five days a week).  They do, however, expect their teams to be in the top half, with some justification, given their relative size(s).

Wanting your team to have a go during a cup semi-final (you're losing) is what any football fan would do.

Completely agree.  No idea where JFK is getting that from.  I know a number of both Hibs and Hearts fans and not one of them has ever said they think they should be competing with the OF.  Indeed, they know they shouldn’t be.

On 16/11/2019 at 05:21, Scott7 said:

Agreed.  I’ll never want Celtic to win ANY game.  If that’s me hating Scottish football to death then so be it.

Were no different to fans of these other clubs.

34 minutes ago, craig said:

Completely agree.  No idea where JFK is getting that from.  I know a number of both Hibs and Hearts fans and not one of them has ever said they think they should be competing with the OF.  Indeed, they know they shouldn’t be.

From their forums. You and I know it's unrealistic for them to truly compete but on their forums they don't know it or pretend not to know it. It's all the more ludicrous because they think that their relatively marginal financial advantage over the provincials should mean they utterly dominate them but that same logic isn't applied when approaching the gigantic financial advantage of the OF. 

This from just yesterday as an example and this isn't a rarity. I didn't have to look far to find it.

This myth that clubs can't challenge the old firm absolute bull crap if u have belief and set your team up in a positive way you can achieve the unexpected any time we play Rangers or Celtic at home we should expect 3 points minimum

So, 3 points minimum at home maybe lose away plus dominate the provincials. Hey presto, competing for the league.