Rangers Colts in Irish League ?

An interesting idea, thanks. I've no idea how feasible this is but it's an interesting discussion.

I could see a pan-Irish/Scottish league happening actually, both the Irish leagues want to increase revenues and interest. There's not a massive amount in it for Scottish sides though, but combined TV deals might be attractive to broadcasters. Getting the 'swifts' into the Irish League might be a precursor to that. 

Great article and an interesting discussion piece. I never thought I would see the day I would agree, even in apart, with Jim McInally, but I cant see the advantage to current League 1 & 2 clubs to having a Rangers youth team in their league. I can see some benefit to our club, but even at that it is not a decent level so it does not prepare our young players for our first team.  It is not as if we are going to take large crowds to these games, as they are going to clash with our first team games most of the time.

Until such times as we can square this circle and find a benefit to lower league clubs to a similar extent to the benefit to us, I cant see this happening in our country.

I can see the attraction in fielding a side in the Irish league given the following we have in that part of the world, but similarly I cant see huge crowds going to these games there when our colts team is essentially U18s and nowhere near first team action, so i dont see that the existing clubs will gain a great deal from it.

Would be very interesting indeed to hear the views of someone like Murty on this possibility, and also some Irish league owners as well.

15 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Rangers Colts at Solitude would be interesting?

It was the suggestion of future matches at the Brandywell that really raised my eyebrows!

I lived in Northern Ireland for a while and went to a match at Solitude once. I quite liked the ground, I like football grounds that are situated in residential areas, cheek to jowl with houses and people. I was little nervous visiting that part of Belfast though, one visit was enough for me. I went to matches at all the Belfast grounds plus Coleraine when I was there. I didn't ever go to Larne's which I regret as I like the look of it, you can see it when leaving the ferry and heading for Belfast. Although I became a Crusaders fan my favourite ground was The Oval, where Glentoran play. It was a really atmospheric old ground and both times I went there was a decent crowd. I went to Windsor Park a couple of times, once to see Linfield and once to see a Northern Ireland match. Again this was the old ground before the redevelopment. It was too big for the crowd that attended the Linfield match, so it had a poor atmosphere. 

There was a great thread on Rangersmedia many moons ago about the Rangers v Bohemians of Dublin match in the early 80s. I knew a couple of guys who attended the away leg and some of their stories were just astonishing. 

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

There was a great thread on Rangersmedia many moons ago about the Rangers v Bohemians of Dublin match in the early 80s.

We also toured there a couple of times in the nineteenth century. 

Edited by Briton