Dave King to step down as chairman

Just finished watching his AGM speech there.  Fantastic what he has done for our club in the years as chairman.  For me, he's given us our club back, back to where we belong and will be forever thankful to him and the others for this.  You can tell how much the club means to him in his final words and emotion he showed. Thank you Mr King. 

Back in 2015 when DK & T3B took over I genuinely wondered if they were in it for the long haul as these were not young men taking over Rangers. They were men mostly in their 60’s & 70’s. 

I think we’ll now start to see new additions to board being of a younger generation.

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

I think it's fair to say Dave King hasn't won over all fans in his time at the club.

However, it's also fair to say, I doubt the club would be in anywhere near as fine fettle without, not just his hard work but his cold, hard cash.

Perhaps it does make sense he steps down as chair and I'm certainly glad he's outlined the reasons for doing this with future likely share issues on the way over the next year or two.  With that in mind, investors need to know the lie of land on a range of matters, not just the identity of the chair but were we stand with any outstanding litigation.

In the shorter term, I hope the team deliver the title to prove King's work has been a success.  Imperfect and worrisome at times but, for this bear, better than any viable alternative I've seen over the last ten years.  With that in mind, he leaves with my thanks.

I'm really surprised that you've said there are fans who aren't won over by Dave King.  What could they possibly have a problem with?

It’s difficult to reply to these points without being accused of being anti King or even anti Rangers , he has always had a polarising reaction amongst our fan base , personally I’m split , I appreciate and am thankful for some of the things he and the three bears achieved , yet at times I simply shook my head in disbelief at his actions , namely the litigation with SD .

What happened today was or rather has been coming for some time , his fellow board members were growing tired of  the continual fights he was getting into that was holding up investment , that was in their eyes , holding back the club .

It was rumoured that there were board members meeting SD  senior figures to try and sort this mess out , a short while ago , however this proved a waste of time because Ashley now views this as personal .

The people seemingly in power now are George Taylor and Julian Wolhardt , who are the ones wanting to invest serious money .

The new year is going to be interesting , however given that it’s James Blair that has been put in charge of some of the changes they want before DK steps down , it could be a complete cluster fuck .

Sometimes I think it’s a waste of time commenting on these things while the gushing is still in full flow and any attempt to express a sense of balance will only be seen as disloyalty or troublemaking. But viewing Dave King as a loss would be wrong. At the time he took over, we needed someone like King who was strongly motivated by emotional conviction and personally willing to fund the turnaround. On the whole, he’s definitely been good for Rangers, vital even, but I cannot see serious investors being encouraged by his style of leadership and I believe King is smart enough to know that. He’s going because he knows he is or will become a barrier to progress. He’ll always be a key figure in the Rangers’ story but I suspect his chapter is over and the opening lines of the next are already being written. I’m excited. Let’s go!

1 hour ago, rbr said:

was rumoured that there were board members meeting SD  senior figures to try and sort this mess out , a short while ago , however this proved a waste of time because Ashley now views this as personal

If DK was making it known he wouldn’t back down to that horrible fat Jabba then I’m 100% behind him (that’s DK, not the overweight interstellar sideways walking lard ass).

Edited by cooponthewing

First chairman for a spell who would be enthusiastically welcomed back to the stadium anytime he visits. And another thing. If we were to go on to win the league how much of the credit would he get? Enough to be the popular choice to raise the flag?

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Sometimes I think it’s a waste of time commenting on these things while the gushing is still in full flow and any attempt to express a sense of balance will only be seen as disloyalty or troublemaking. But viewing Dave King as a loss would be wrong. At the time he took over, we needed someone like King who was strongly motivated by emotional conviction and personally willing to fund the turnaround. On the whole, he’s definitely been good for Rangers, vital even, but I cannot see serious investors being encouraged by his style of leadership and I believe King is smart enough to know that. He’s going because he knows he is or will become a barrier to progress. He’ll always be a key figure in the Rangers’ story but I suspect his chapter is over and the opening lines of the next are already being written. I’m excited. Let’s go!

I think that's a fair and accurate assessment @Bill.  He saved us at a time we needed to be saved and he will always be remembered for that, or a team least he should be.  He was also the man who had the strength of character and resolve to take on those who sought to completely destroy us.  However he does have some problems with his image and it may deter some investors.  My concern at the moment is about who will fill his shoes.  I know he said he will stick around to finish the job of dealing with SD, but there will be other tough challenges ahead and I don't know enough about the current board to take confidence that they will have that strength to deal with those.

As @JFK-1said, he must be the most popular chairman in football for what he has done, and I would certainly expect him to receive the warmest of welcomes when he raises the flag when we get 55.