Dave King to step down as chairman

19 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I think that's a fair and accurate assessment @Bill.  He saved us at a time we needed to be saved and he will always be remembered for that, or a team least he should be.  He was also the man who had the strength of character and resolve to take on those who sought to completely destroy us.  However he does have some problems with his image and it may deter some investors.  My concern at the moment is about who will fill his shoes.  I know he said he will stick around to finish the job of dealing with SD, but there will be other tough challenges ahead and I don't know enough about the current board to take confidence that they will have that strength to deal with those.

As @JFK-1said, he must be the most popular chairman in football for what he has done, and I would certainly expect him to receive the warmest of welcomes when he raises the flag when we get 55.

That's what i'm actually wondering, is there any chance he would be the one to raise the flag if we win the league this season. Traditionally the chairman raises the flag and he wont be the chairman much longer.

As for his popularity I think that's pretty much guaranteed given where we were when he took over and where we are now.

Contrast that with Milne at the sheep where he has been chairman for 22 years. And is vilified as a loser they're glad to see the back of which I find astonishing.

That comes down to the fantasy that they should be regularly winning titles and cups which has never been a habit in their entire history outside a brief Ferguson inspired purple patch.

Take that out of the equation and in their entire history they have 1 league title, 3 Scottish cups, and 5 league cups one of which was won during the current McInnes era.

They have never been any footballing superpower outside that Ferguson blip yet Milne is a loser. But anyway, I related that partly to piss off Craig who doesn't like any mention of those fantasising losers. ?

We haven't won a trophy during King's tenure...yet.  

His role as chairman will be remembered more for what he did off the pitch, which was vitally important.   But football fans tend to focus on success on the pitch.

For all King has done his most telling and lasting contribution might prove to be the appointment of Gerrard as manager. From the outside it looks like they have a good relationship and I understand it was King who identified and made initial contact with Gerrard about the Rangers job. We forget now that we weren't exactly an enticing prospect. Laden with debt following years of terrible publicity, struggling in the SPFL and miles behind Celtic on and off the pitch. Mr King must be quite persuasive for Gerrard to give up his job for life at Liverpool, while biding his time for Klop to leave in the hope that the 'boot room' promotion system that served Liverpool so well in the 70s and 80s would see him in line for the top job there. Gerrard has taken a huge gamble coming to us, if it doesn't work out here he has no chance of ever getting the Liverpool job. Dave King deserves huge credit for that if nothing else. 

My dad pointed out to me a long time ago that King attended Allan Glen's School in Townhead while living in Castlemilk. He must have had an inner-steel and an ability to either avoid or deal with trouble, because he must have attracted some dressed in their uniform while travelling across the city everyday. We shouldn't be surprised he doesn't back down from a fight and has no time for bullies. 

I'll be sorry to see him go, for all his faults I always felt he'd the club's best interests at heart, even if some of his actions left me a little nervous at times. 

Edited by JohnMc

45 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We haven't won a trophy during King's tenure...yet.  

His role as chairman will be remembered more for what he did off the pitch, which was vitally important.   But football fans tend to focus on success on the pitch.

While trophies are important in the long term King's tenure wasn't about trophies. It was about recovering from an unparalleled catastrophe to be back in a place where the club was again capable of winning trophies which wasn't the case when he came in. 

We were in the Championship when he took over and he appointed hos first manager, Mark Warburton. A memorable season when he delivered exactly what he said in his his first interview. Promotion back to the premiership via winning the title not through the play offs which he stipulated. Plus a memorable SC semi final win over the yahoos no one expected and a Scottish cup final appearance to add to the record books.

As we all know it then went sour with Warburton and the next manager to my knowledge wasn't a King appointment but more a Douglas Park's son appointment which ultimately proved a costly mistake. From there we brought in Gerrard who as far as i'm aware was a largely King inspired appointment and so far that move has been exceeding expectations.

So as far as i'm concerned King delivered everything he said he would. He didn't promise a top league title he promised to create a situation where we would be back capable of challenging for that title. No one could argue he hasn't delivered on his promises.

6 hours ago, compo said:

And now the end is near maybe just maybe he will let us all know what the hecks  in that big brown bag he's always carrying  .?????????????

His pieces!?

I used to have a colleague who left his house everyday with a briefcase and wearing a Columbo Jacket. All that was in the briefcase was his bread box. It was just all show for his neighbours as he just operated a turning machine.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

His pieces!?

I used to have a colleague who left his house everyday with a briefcase and wearing a Columbo Jacket. All that was in the briefcase was his bread box. It was just all show for his neighbours as he just operated a turning machine.

Yes we had one in the office who always had a copy of a scud magazine called readers wives in his briefcase  .