[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 18; Jack 30)

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

Bringing the game into disrepute if he did indeed say that.

Perhaps something got mixed up in translation. English is probably not a DR journo’s first language.

Scott McKenna admits Aberdeen DID target Alfredo Morelos under Derek McInnes' orders

Scott McKenna has admitted Aberdeen did target Alfredo Morelos last term – under the orders of Derek McInnes.

But the Dons centre-back believes the Rangers goal machine is a changed man this season.

Morelos picked up three of his five red cards against the Dons last season, although one of those was downgraded on appeal.

McKenna knew the Colombian had a fiery streak and revealed McInnes even wound up his own troops to make sure they got a reaction out of the talisman.

Ahead of the Pittodrie clash with Gers on Wednesday night, the Aberdeen defender said: “His discipline has improved. It is something we targeted last year.

“The gaffer was probably winding us up to make sure we wound him up.

“It worked a few times and it did benefit us.

“He seems to have tightened up on that aspect of his game and it is up to us to try to stop him scoring, that is our job.”

Scotland star McKenna was also central to a number of those red cards.

Morelos kicked him off the ball in the first game then in another Pittodrie clash they both got sent packing after McKenna retaliated to a stamp from the striker.

He said: “I tried to have a wee nibble back and I didn’t realise my feet were as high as they were.

“I got what I deserved – it was pure stupidity.”

The bad blood between Aberdeen and Rangers stretches way back to the 1980s and there’s still a real edge to their battles.

McKenna said: “I don’t know how many matches I have played against Rangers but there have been very few when both teams have finished with 11 men.

“Ryan Jack also got sent off in a game at Pittodrie so it is important that we keep our discipline and don’t get sucked into anything stupid.”

The Dons have suffered heavy defeats at the hands of the Old Firm this term, losing 5-0 at Ibrox then 4-0 to Celtic at Pittodrie.

But McKenna claims lessons have been learned since the Hoops defeat, with a five-game unbeaten run taking them back into third.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mckenna-admits-aberdeen-target-21019144

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

McKenna admitting in todays record that they did deliberately target Morelos under orders from McInnes. That's their level. Kick and harry. Then wonder why they get nowhere in Europe.

That's no surprise really.  They play to their 'strengths', as we do.  It's up to Alfie to control himself, but also up to refs to make sure they don't overstep the mark.  Fortunately Alfie has changed, but unfortunately the refs are just as poor at protecting skilful players as they always have been.  We all know what tonight's game is, and it's not pretty to watch.

13 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

That's no surprise really.  They play to their 'strengths', as we do.  It's up to Alfie to control himself, but also up to refs to make sure they don't overstep the mark.  Fortunately Alfie has changed, but unfortunately the refs are just as poor at protecting skilful players as they always have been.  We all know what tonight's game is, and it's not pretty to watch.

It's actually somewhat embarrassing and simply gives credence to the 'pub league jibes our football gets from the South. They claim to be one of our best teams and this is their greatest 'strength'?

I can envisage them being drawn in Euro qualifiers then the opposition research them to discover their 'strengths' Back comes the report. They're good at trying to get your players red carded while constantly fouling in an attempt to make sure no football gets played in a football match.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

McKenna admitting in todays record that they did deliberately target Morelos under orders from McInnes. That's their level. Kick and harry. Then wonder why they get nowhere in Europe.

No different from what most teams set about doing last season.

16 minutes ago, onevision said:

No different from what most teams set about doing last season.

While that's true most teams don't claim to be one of our best and a direct competitor of ours. And as usual it's all the fault of McInnes they're not drubbing us and not sweeping all before them in Europe. 

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If I was an opposition manager, I'd advise my players to wind up Morelos and get stuck in with niggles and strong challenges.

Correct. But you’d hope the players wouldn’t blab about it.

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

If I was an opposition manager, I'd advise my players to wind up Morelos and get stuck in with niggles and strong challenges.

It's up to us to deal with it.  

Aye, that was always the tactics for all the years I played Junior fitba ?

Aberdeen have turned around their form with 6 games undefeated and 5 wins from those. However it was an particularly easy run of the games with only 1 of those being against a top 6 side. Considering Celtic beat them 4-0 at Pittodrie we should really be expecting to win the game comfortably, showing them no respect whatsoever. St Johnstone are absolutely dire and took 2 points off them 10 days ago. 

20 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Aberdeen have turned around their form with 6 games undefeated and 5 wins from those. However it was an particularly easy run of the games with only 1 of those being against a top 6 side. Considering Celtic beat them 4-0 at Pittodrie we should really be expecting to win the game comfortably, showing them no respect whatsoever. St Johnstone are absolutely dire and took 2 points off them 10 days ago. 

That's why i'm entirely unimpressed by the sheep. As you say St Johnstone are dire and sitting just above them second bottom of the league with the same number of points but a slightly superior GD are St Mirren.

On Saturday St Mirren had to miss a penalty to save the sheep dropping two points and in fact could have beaten them. They weren't outplaying St Mirren by any measure and that was in their own sheep pen.

Possession: Sheep 50% - St Mirren 50%

Shots: Sheep 14 - St Mirren 12

Shots on target: Sheep 7 St Mirren 6