7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think that we can all be grateful that the players show more mental strength than you are here.

Aye, coz missing countless chances in front of goal (including a penalty where Tav did shit it) lacking penetration again, not getting over the live again, and looking like we were a horrible parody of TB sides in the 90s didn't show a mental weakness.

Instead of spending your time trolling my comments RS, you could have addressed my point which was the critical nature the next few games. It seems you didn't take defeat as badly as some  others Yesterday?

We were unlucky, in several respects yesterday but at the end of the day, you make your own luck.

A good performance and defeat against them is nowhere near as good as a poor performance and a win.

I think Kent's display yesterday summed up why I was baffled we paid so much for him.  Some terrific bursts of pace, cracking twists and turns but no end product. Hopefully he continues to improve on that front.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think Kent's display yesterday summed up why I was baffled we paid so much for him.  Some terrific bursts of pace, cracking twists and turns but no end product. Hopefully he continues to improve on that front.

Great point re Kent yesterday as I thought he was pretty ineffective as was Arfield. Although we still managed to play very well but not get over the line. We missed the calming reassurance of Davis yesterday and maybe that would have made the difference? He is out for Thursday too anyway so we best get used to it.

11 hours ago, der Berliner said:

...despite no Davis...

On the four occasions lately we have not had Davis in the team we have looked more fluid and have played well in three games.  I don't think we should be picking him and Kamara anyway and I don't see how he would have made much difference yesterday.  We battered them but Morelos just didn't do the business.

Edited by Briton

28 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

I don’t buy into personal criticism of anyone from yesterday, think we need to tinker but not wholsesale changes and agree with manager that we need to stick with these players

Still think we lack something in the final third which is something I said on an earlier podcast this summer. 

A really painful defeat, I remain positive & not despondent 

Five victories are needed this month otherwise the season will very quickly derail 

Wholesale changes with the quality required aren´t really an option so it´s down to this group for the rest of the season.

We have an excellent management team who have been upping the levels since they came in.

We are on the cusp of European football in the Springtime, have just played in our first domestic cup final for 3 and a half years and perhaps more importantly have now achieved a consistency of result in the League that has us challenging.

It might not feel like it now but the rest of this month is more important than yesterday.

A victory against YB would secure something in the region of 4M smackers, which might give us some leeway to tinker in January.

League games at Motherwell, Hibs and Celtic are a significant challenge for a squad that is starting to suffer a few injuries but I don´t think it´d be the end of our season if we drop a couple of points.

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

Aye, coz missing countless chances in front of goal (including a penalty where Tav did shit it) lacking penetration again, not getting over the live[sic] again, and looking like we were a horrible parody of TB sides in the 90s didn't show a mental weakness.

Instead of spending your time trolling my comments RS, you could have addressed my point which was the critical nature the next few games. It seems you didn't take defeat as badly as some  others Yesterday?

I'm definitely taking it better than you. That much is clear.

A couple of questions. Did we "lack penetration" or have "countless chances"? What did the manager say about the penalty?

I'm not sure why you think I am trolling. I'm also not sure how you think you made that point.  All I see is someone who is assuming that everything will go wrong for the rest of the month.

I'm afraid I'm also questioning the mentality of this side. I was also reminded of Tommy Burns Celtic against Walter Smith's Rangers, they'd play us off the park for long periods but we'd still win. That's a concern for me. 

Dropping points to Aberdeen during the week was a disgrace. There was a lack of leadership and a lack of sheer will to win. When Aberdeen got a lucky goal they grew in belief and we visibly drew in. That's a worrying trait. 

It was different yesterday, we were unable to get a goal despite numerous chances, almost all falling to the player we'd want them falling too. But let's be honest here, that was a makeshift Celtic side upfront. Their only forward was a winger who looked half decent when in the Championship but well out of his depth in the SPFL. This severely hampered them, make no mistake, and allowed us to control the match. We were unable to make this count and my concern is they won't be that poor again when we next play them. Yesterday was our chance to land a blow and we didn't take it. 

I'm not suggesting wholesale changes, but we do need to make changes. There's a lack of leaders on the pitch for a start. I like Tav but has he got the sheer drive to be a Rangers captain? Be honest, will he do what Scott Brown does to help change a match? Are our centre-halves commanding? Do they scare the opposition, do they control our box at set-pieces, do they hurt the forwards they're up against? Lastly where are the moments of magic from Kent and particularly Aribo? Aribo clearly has a wonderful touch and a great close control, but we need to see that create something during a match. When I first saw him I thought we'd bought a player similar to Sone Aluko. Not in stature obviously but it terms of what he'd bring to the side. The ability to beat a man, to create space for others, to hold the ball and draw a foul, and more importantly to provide that wee piece of quality that wins us tight matches. I'm not seeing that, he's fine at playing one-twos with Kamara but he's not hurting the opposition and that's what we need. 

I accept we need to be careful of knee-jerk reactions fuelled by bitter disappointment, but football matches between evenly matched sides are won by small margins, and, in my opinion those are largely in mentality related. Personally I've not taken any positives from yesterday. 

39 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I accept we need to be careful of knee-jerk reactions fuelled by bitter disappointment, but football matches between evenly matched sides are won by small margins, and, in my opinion those are largely in mentality related. Personally I've not taken any positives from yesterday. 

Forget yesterday for a moment, positives are more evident in our situation as a whole.

We are taking incremental steps towards where we want to be and importantly have the right people in charge of the first team.

Generally, mentality  was good yesterday,  it was more an issue of definition and quality.

The main stumbling block remains finance.

Edited by buster.