51 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If the performance/result was reversed and we'd won after being battered for 90 minutes, would we be closer/ahead?

Yes we would be further ahead. You can always improve performance, strategy, tactics etc. but you can never improve a result in the book.
Winners win, losers ... well.

We lost. They won. They have the trophy, we don't. Should we be wearing hair shirts for a week, a month or what? When do we move on? 

We have a big game on Thursday. Will agonising over Sunday's result and blaming players and manager help or hinder our chances in that game? 

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Will agonising over Sunday's result and blaming players and manager help or hinder our chances in that game?

I doubt it will make any difference.  

If you expect football fans to forget about losing a cup final, to their bitter rivals, within a day or two...then you aren't living in the real world.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

If you expect football fans to forget about losing a cup final, to their bitter rivals, within a day or two...then you aren't living in the real world.  

Maybe people need to get out a bit more then...

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

So how long is long enough? Are you suggesting football fans are less able to show composure than others?

No one has said anyone should "forget" about Sunday, that would be ridiculous. But what I think is important is for the reaction to be measured, to reflect the obvious progress we saw on Sunday and the fact we have arguably a more important game coming up in 3 days time. We have no entitlement to success but we now have reason to be confident. It will take skill and persistence from a lot of people until we lift those trophies. Until then I would prefer to see us fail with some dignity and for our reaction to be to go on with even more determination until we do succeed.

All we did on Sunday was lose a game. It wasn't a failure. Failure was what led us into our financial crisis and eight years of pain. 

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Maybe people need to get out a bit more then...

Literally or metaphorically?  The former was impossible for me and many others, I'd assume, due to family/work commitments.   The latter...supporting a football team passionately is all a bit daft on any philosophical level, so seeing things with perspective and being reasonable tend not to figure much on football forums, particularly after losing a big match.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

All we did on Sunday was lose a game. It wasn't a failure.

We failed to win the cup.

14 hours ago, Rousseau said:

If the performance/result was reversed and we'd won after being battered for 90 minutes, would we be closer/ahead?

I'm not sure hypotheticals help much but had the result been reversed I'd have been much happier, aside from the obvious elation at winning cup the display of resilience and winning when playing poorly plus the psychological impact it would have had on both sides would have led me to believe we're closer to a league winning side  than I feel we are now. 

Edited by JohnMc
Spelling

11 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I'm not sure hypotheticals help much but had the result been reversed I'd have been much happier, aside from the obvious elation at winning cup the display or reliance and winning when playing poorly plus the psychological impact it would have had on both sides would have led me to believe we're closer to a league winning side  than I feel we are now. 

If we had played poorly and won I  would be ecstatic, as we would have shown a new steel and nerve. We didn't and we don't, it was a fantastic performance with no clinical termination of the opponent. Good football from most but the mentality still is not there. As a footballing side (and human beings going by social media) they are far inferior to us. However, their psychological winning mentality is was ahead of ours and it shows.