Steven Gerrard new contract until 2024

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm still raging following Wednesday night, if we lose tomorrow I'll want him out. That's two games, how much more patience to you expect me to show here. 

Right enough, you've changed my mind.

Fuck it, win or lose, Gerrard must go.

It's an interesting development and one I didn't expect. The job has become his for as long as he wants it so he had no need for an extension. He could just as easily have waited till nearer the end of the current contract to see how he felt then.

This can be viewed as long term commitment on his part. At the end of the day if Liverpool came calling he would be gone and I for one wouldn't resent him for it ala yahoos and Rodgers to Leicester.

But Klopp is in the same position at Liverpool as Gerrard at Rangers, it's his job as long as he wants it and Stevie himself said he expects Klopp to be at Liverpool "for many years to come". 

If he were someone else the personal financial factor may concern me in that he could be paid far more in the EPL but for someone as wealthy as he is and simply a football nut the money is irrelevant to him.  Whatever he is being paid is almost superfluous and I can see him jokingly saying to them hey guys it's appreciated but you really didn't need to do this I just want the job.

Given Gerrard's known love of Liverpool I just don't see him wanting to go to the EPL to work at a competitor. So in those circumstances he's in the best position he could be. At a big club competing in Europe but not directly competing with Liverpool. 

There is a scenario where we could face them in Europe but that's not quite the same thing as directly competing with them in the EPL. 

Contract extensions are mainly a way to protect the club, financially, if other clubs come looking (providing the desired subject is satisfied at said club).

I wouldn't bother reading much more into it than that.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, Steven Gerrard has taken Rangers back to competing at the top level of Scottish football. And competing in Europe again.

Both Mark Warburton & Pedro  failed to do this. 

Hence why he’ll be offered a new, improved contract 

I can understand the motives of the club in desiring to secure him on a longer contract. But the motives of Gerrard in accepting it are entirely unconnected to any financial implications for the club if he were to go. That factor isn't even a factor for his advisers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/4ladshadadream/status/1203619138226343938

New deals will be announced for the manager & several first team players this week, plans underway for next season & beyond - more news coming later on this

Happy cup final day folks

Good luck to the famous

Let’s get tore right into this lot ??

Edited by BEARGER

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1443042-davis-defoe-and-mcgregor-agree-to-extend-stay-at-rangers/

A trio of Rangers players are set to follow Steven Gerrard by signing new contracts with the club this week, STV has learned.

Steven Davis, Jermain Defoe and Allan McGregor have been in discussions over extending their stay at Ibrox and all three are set to be confirmed on new deals in the coming days.

Davis - who missed the League Cup final defeat to Celtic due to injury - rejoined the club in January, initially on a six-month loan deal from Southampton summer before making the move permanent. 

The Northern Irishman's existing contract is due to expire next summer. The midfielder has impressed under Gerrard and has arguably been one of Rangers' best performers this season.

Defoe made the move from Bournemouth on an 18-month loan deal in January. With the former England striker now in the last six months of his contract, Rangers have made an offer for him to sign permanently in the summer and STV understands the 37-year-old will sign a new one year contract on a Bosman deal. There had been suggestions the striker would agree a player/coach role, but this is not the case.

Allan McGregor has also earned a new contract. We've learned the goalkeeper has triggered an extension based on the number of first team games he's made since rejoining Rangers in the summer of 2018.

STV revealed last week that Steven Gerrrad has agreed terms to a new contract, which will commit him to the club until the summer of 2024. Rangers have rewarded the 39- year-old after guiding the club to the Europa League group stage for two successive seasons and becoming genuine title challengers to Celtic.