Davie Cooper Tribute Dinner 28th March 2020

Next March will see the 25th anniversary of the passing of Davie Cooper. I am helping to organise a tribute dinner in the Thornton Suite on 28th March (international break weekend) Information is available on www.daviecooperdinner.co.uk

Proceeds will be split between the Former Players Benevolent Fund and Rangers Youth Development Company. I hope my Gersnet colleagues will help support the event.

Used to see him around Hamilton all the time, an approachable guy. Only once saw him in a pub where he was drinking a pint of, wait for it, orange and lemonade. Don't know if he was an actual teetotaler. Davie's career was winding up just as the big money contracts started coming into the game so he missed out on that. There's a bronze statue of him in Hamilton Palace sports grounds.

spacer.png

Plaque: DAVID COOPER 1956-1995. THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY SOUTH LANARKSHIRE COUNCIL AS A TRIBUTE TO FOOTBALL LEGEND DAVID COOPER. 1974 - 1977 Clydebank FC. 1977 - 1989 Glasgow Rangers FC. 1989 - 1993 Motherwell FC. 22 full international caps. 3 Scottish League Championship Medals. 4 Scottish Cup Winner Medals. 7 Scottish League Cup Winner Medals. Artist: Kenny Mackay - Scott Associates. The statue was unveiled on 18th March 1999 by Councillor Tom McCabe Leader of South Lanarkshire Council and Alistair McCoist footballer and friend on March 18th 1999.