UEFA Europa League Last 32: Rangers v Braga

PEDRO MENDES reckons Braga will be a totally different test for Rangers than Porto.

Gers drew with Porto – who sit second in their league - on the road then beat them at home in the group stages.

Braga are currently languishing in ninth spot ahead of the sides meeting in the last-32 of the Europa League in February.

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, Mendes said: “Braga is a different team to Porto. Porto play and chase and are open. Braga will approach it differently.

“They have different types of players and some of them are very good technical players. Porto’s players are stronger.

“I’m not sure how Rangers will deal with it. It will be interesting.

“There is also a transfer window between now and then so both teams could be a little bit different.”

Mendes – at Ibrox from 2008 to 2010 - admits it’s difficult to know what sort of team Gers will be when the sides clash in February.

He said: “Before the first game in Porto they played Hearts and from what I read and saw it wasn’t their best game.

“Four or five days later they came to Portugal and played really well.

“Then I saw the Ibrox game Rangers weren’t so good in the first half but in the second half they were really good and beat Porto.”

Ex-Portugal international Mendes, 40, hopes to see some Gers fans travel along the road from Braga to visit his home town while they are there for the second leg.

He added: “Braga is a nice town with a historic part. But the good thing is it is only 50 minutes from Guimaraes so all Rangers fans are invited to come to my town.

“I would love to see them there. But Braga and Guimaraes also have an old rivalry. It’s a derby in our league.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5074953/rangers-braga-europa-league-pedro-mendes-porto-different-test/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1576535624

9 minutes ago, craig said:

He may have made a mistake inviting Gers fans to Guimaraes - his hometown could be deluged with Bears for a good time :D

Guimaraes were in group F of this seasons Europa league alongside Arsenal, Eintracht Frankfurt, and Standard Liege. Finished bottom of the group but to be fair that group looks if anything even more formidable than ours. It's not a small town, population around 160,000.