Helander Out For 4-6 Weeks

The Rangers boss said: "Filip won't be seen again until after the winter break. It's a foot issue. I'm not a doctor but I'm told it's a unique injury.

"The doctor told me that in his 25-year experience in medicine, he had only seen this issue on a couple of occasions. It's a difficult one to put an exact date on the time he will be out.

"But he is going to be in a boot for four to six weeks. That's the starter pack so let's go from there and see how it progresses.

"I think he's been in the boot for a couple of weeks now so he will be in a boot until after Christmas and then it will be a case of building the fitness back up and whether there is a reaction from the injury because it's quite a rare one."

Gerrard, meanwhile, has confirmed Rangers' squad is poised for a January cull.

Matt Polster, Jamie Murphy and Greg Docherty are set to be made available and loanee Andy King is likely to be sent back to Leicester City.

Glenn Middleton, due to return from a loan at Friday's opponents Hibs, could be farmed out again.

Gerrard said: "There will be people leaving the football club in the window but I respect my players and won't name any individuals for now.

"You have to be honest with players and respect them. Unfortunately, we can only pick an 18 man squad."

Gerrard will be without top-scorer Alfredo Morelos after his Fir Park dismissal and the Ibrox boss revealed the striker had made his frustrations clear.

He said: "I think Alfredo has apologised to his team-mates after the Motherwell situation, but that's not important now.

"We have to focus on what's available to us. Alfredo has been different. You can see in his face he's disappointed not to be available. He's not a man who hides that disappointment very well.

"You can see even in today's session that he's gutted."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/filip-helander-blow-rangers-steven-21128287

15 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

He said: "I think Alfredo has apologised to his team-mates after the Motherwell situation, but that's not important now.

Yet again Gerrard puts the blame solely on Morelos and refuses to acknowledge that he's refereed in a different manner to other people in Scotland.

Gerrard makes it easy for refs to continue to single out Alfie, either by booking him when others wouldn't be, or by being fouled in the box with no penalty given.

Gerrard should be giving Morelos more protection. 

33 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Yet again Gerrard puts the blame solely on Morelos and refuses to acknowledge that he's refereed in a different manner to other people in Scotland.

Gerrard makes it easy for refs to continue to single out Alfie, either by booking him when others wouldn't be, or by being fouled in the box with no penalty given.

Perhaps that comment is only for media/public consumption, might be something different said behind closed doors. 

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Perhaps that comment is only for media/public consumption, might be something different said behind closed doors. 

If he only says something in private then it has no effect and he's making it easy for referees. He's basically supported the decision to treat Morelos differently in public. 

The club and manager should do more to stand up for the players and supporters. 

Morelos gets it in the neck, time and time again, with the club constantly on the back foot.  Similar to the situation with the press/UEFA/FARE views on the support.

The only bright spot is we now have a quality of squad depth which may make this a shade less critical. Most teams in this league could only dream of throwing in a Katic to replace him. A 'back up' who would be a first choice in most possibly even all.

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Gerrard doesn't come across as naive or stupid, so I assume there's a reason for him taking this stance that's not obvious to us. Like you I'm really surprised he's not using this particular issue, and many previous ones, to put pressure on refs and the media with regards Morelos. I don't know what the strategy is but I'm hoping there is one and it's working in ways we can't see. 

16 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Gerrard doesn't come across as naive or stupid, so I assume there's a reason for him taking this stance that's not obvious to us. Like you I'm really surprised he's not using this particular issue, and many previous ones, to put pressure on refs and the media with regards Morelos. I don't know what the strategy is but I'm hoping there is one and it's working in ways we can't see. 

Thing is, I for one don't want him shouting his mouth off, but I would like him mentioning certain issues as he/we see them, it's almost as if he has been told not to do that!

Edited by ian1964

22 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Being (perhaps unfairly) cynical, being seen as a moaner about refs may not be good for "Brand Gerrard".

Alternatively, perhaps he is naïve about the level of pressure that's put on refs from the other side. We've seen the strike, refs being sacked, being attacked etc, and he may not realise that it's got to that extent. 

He expects players to show the same professionalism as him, so perhaps he expects refs to show the same professionalism as the refs down south and doesn't realise that they aren't?

There's a few possibilities, but whatever the answer, I just can't believe that it's working in ways that we can't see.