Rangers Calling For VAR

The Compliance Officer helped us out, didn't she. More televised games helped us out, didn't it.  

VAR will obviously help us out too.

The only people benefitting from VAR are refs and pundits because it widens their employability.  It's just another layer of the same old stuff.

It's good that Rangers have put out this statement and it shows that we are leading the discussion on refereeing decisions.

I have my doubts about VAR. The experience in England does not sell it well. In the cases cited in the Rangers statement the correct decision was clearcut and VAR would have shown this. However, as in England, where part of a player's upper body is arguably a centimeter offside and it takes minutes to come to a decision, VAR is questionable.

It's probably inevitable that it will come to Scottish football and the point the Club make about the game in Scotland being left behind is valid. Those clubs in Scotland that aspire to European football should recognise that regardless of their reservations, to be treated as a serious league it needs to keep up to date with the prevailing technology.

Rangers are leading the way here and that's good to see. I would like to hear whether other clubs have anything worthwhile to say on the matter.

We're starting to lead the way on the field with our style of play. it looks like we're starting to lead the way on suggesting how Scottish football can move forward.

Wow, when you see it like that it is absolutely unbelievable. Add in Aribo getting his shirt almost ripped off yesterday. This is exactly what our broadcast media and sports channels should be highlighting and asking why this keeps happening against one club time and time again.

But instead, complete silence.....

56 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I think that's a fair and balanced opinion, however it assumes the referees are trying to be fair and balanced.  It's clear that when it comes to Rangers they are not.  VAR may not be the answer, but until we get honest referees what's the alternative?  I just watched back those clips from @ian1964 and it's actually either a clear demonstration of why our referees are so bad (and hence VAR can't be any worse), or that they're so biased.  Either way, the club is right to use the 'VAR' statement to point out the absurdity of what we face week in and week out.

Edited by Gaffer

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

I doubt Rangers expect it to be introduced but by calling for it, the club are able to make the point about the dreadful decisions that have gone against us.

Scottish football couldn’t afford VAR. Doncaster said a year ago it would cost £5k per game as well as all the training costs.

It would cost millions and Scottish football simply hasn’t got that sort of money.

Rangers have cleverly rolled  a grenade underneath the SFA/SPFL.