Rangers Calling For VAR

24 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Why do the SFA hold the power? The SPFL should be calling the shots. How does it work down south? I know it's on a level beyond our game but I can't imagine the FA telling the Premiership what to do.

The SPFL is the company who operates the professional leagues in Scottish football.

The SFA are the governing body of Scottish football. They are the ones who would ultimately decide whether or not VAR is introduced.

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Totally agree, every time a goal is scored in the EPL there is a pause as a large percentage of goals are referred as the defending team puts pressure on the ref even if there hasn't been an incident - they hope VAR spots something!! It has reduced the spontaneity and atmosphere within the ground. I'd defer VAR until we see it working properly.  

7 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

It looks like this is right Ian. Brown was booked twice and not sent off by Clancy!  Potentially  the whole group of officials must have known about this?

I couldn't figure out who got the second yellow at the time,  but it's obvious now.  ? 

Clancy is a cheat. 

43 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I couldn't figure out who got the second yellow at the time,  but it's obvious now.  ? 

Clancy is a cheat. 

This has got to be all over the media surely? You can't hide this, It mirrors blatant cheating and corruption from officials!

14 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I can understand armchair fans being a bit keener on VAR.

A relative regularly goes to Anfield and has told me VAR is horrendous when you're at the match.

I was on the fence when it was first talked about but having seen it in action in England I'm now 100% against it.  

Well played -- Forget the ball, take out the man.  

I can appreciate fans being confusing at the match, but they've made changes to improve that (displaying on screen what's being checked etc.), and they'll continue to make improvements. 

What's your main arguments against it?

11 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Maybe I am way out of touch regards this, but when watching matches on sky/BT we see very quick replays, why can't the 4th official and both managers not have a monitor on the touchline to review incidents? 4th official could assist the refs, I know that is pretty much VAR but right now that option is available.

Yeah, there are a few pundits calling for the monitor to be used more. One suggested it would calm things down if both managers are looking at it too. 

10 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Totally agree, every time a goal is scored in the EPL there is a pause as a large percentage of goals are referred as the defending team puts pressure on the ref even if there hasn't been an incident - they hope VAR spots something!! It has reduced the spontaneity and atmosphere within the ground. I'd defer VAR until we see it working properly.  

It's not every goal. Players don't refer it, the VAR guys will check and inform the Referee if there's a chance, and then check it. 

I wouldn't be throwing out the baby with the bath water. 

It has it's flaws but they've made, and will continue to make changes. 

It's mostly the laws that people don't like -- it's just that before Ref's couldn't judge them properly. I like Souness' idea for offside, whereby an attacking player is ON, if any goalscoring part of his body is behind the defender. It gives the advantage to the attacker. 

14 hours ago, Rousseau said:

In what way is it "questionable"? It's offside or it's not. The law's the law, centimetre or not.

It's questionable if it takes 2 minutes to decide. When you see the referee at the screen looking at the incident played several times, it is clear that it is not a clear and obvious decision and in that case I believe an offside should not be given.

I think the default position should be that no offense has taken place (penalty, offside or whatever) unless it is clear and obvious.

I'm not arguing that VAR should not be introduced. All I'm saying is that it's use needs to be refined from what is happening at present.