Celtic hit out at Rangers fans over 'sickening chants' and vow to deal with 'unsavoury incidents'

The Parkhead outfit have promised to deal with any incident in a 'dignified and professional manner'.

Celtic have hit out at a series of incidents involving Rangers fans during Sunday's clash at Celtic Park.

The Parkhead club have accused away supporters of targeting home fans with missiles as well as directing 'sickening chants' at players.

Celtic were beaten 2-1 by Rangers and the club have expressed their unhappiness with how away fans acted during the game.

Only 800 Rangers supporters were in attendance but the Hoops say there was a number of incidents that they will look to deal with over the coming days and weeks.

Record Sport understands Leigh Griffiths was targeted from the away end by chants about his mental health and several songs were sung about the Celtic Boys Club scandal.

That includes the previously mentioned chants and missile throwing as well as anything else that is reported to them.

A Celtic spokesperson said: "We are aware of a number of incidents from Sunday's match including Celtic supporters being targeted with missiles from the away support, something which has unfortunately happened on numerous occasions previously.

"We are also aware of a number of other unsavoury incidents involving the away support, including sickening chants directed at our players and supporters.

"However, as we always do, Celtic will deal with these and all other incidents responsibly and in a dignified and professional manner and in a way which protects the greater good of the game."

The match ended 2-1 with goals from Ryan Kent and Nikola Katic enough to edge it for Steven Gerrard's men despite Odsonne Edouard's first half equaliser.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-hit-out-rangers-fans-21191324

Smoke & mirrors, masters of deflection/denial, Separate Entity FC

This mob are consistent in their ability to surprise me with how much of a red neck they have.  Maybe if someone explained what 'dignified' and 'professional' meant, they'd consider changing it.

Deflection tactics have worked with all other instances so they will continue to use a well trodden path to come out of this unscathed.  No doubt the usual MSP suspects will be quick to lump us all together too just to make sure it hurts big bad Rangers as much as it does them.  That's their modus operandi.

Deflector screens to maximum!!!

1. Always cheated, never defeated! Oh shit, Clancy was too obvious and that's not going to work this time.

2. What sort of evil scum sing nasty songs about something that we won't even admit exists, and anyway happened at a different club that coincidentally had the same name and the same badge and who our directors had business interests with? An entirely separate and coincidental entity. Nothing to do with us.

3. Those evil mental health bullies in blue taking it out on poor Leigh Griffiths. That's the real story. Where's our Justice Minister????

Here's the deal, they have had almost a decade of zero competition. Despite fantasies of being competitors from the likes of the sheep the reality in Scotland is that no one but they or us can win this league.

In the 2011-12 season when they won the first of their current run we were in disarray and were also docked 10 points. The following 4 seasons we weren't even in it then on our return were still in a state of having to re-establish ourselves. When the sheep are taking second place which was the case for two seasons after our return you know there is still no competition.

Then 18 months ago in comes Steven Gerrard who despite the mockery at his appointment had an immediate impact. Suddenly they find themselves actually losing matches to us again and while they still took the title it wasn't the procession they had become accustomed to.

Now we have this season when not only is there an actual credible title race for the first time in so many years there are some knowledgeable pundits now beginning to tip Rangers as favourites to be champions. Cue meltdown from their camp and it's acolytes.

It's been so long since they felt any actual competition around that their psyche just can't cope with it. It appears to have been compounded by the fact that everyone is acting as if this is something that has just crept up on them out of the blue so to speak. They blinded themselves to reality in so many ways.

One important factor is the aforementioned appointment of Steven Gerrard. We all know the cries. I don't need to repost the Spiers tweet again since we have all seen it so many times but his reaction wasn't unusual. It was simply a typical example of what the entire crowd of haters and media pundits were saying.

And that's a major reason this meltdown is becoming so classic. They apparently truly didn't see this coming when in my view at least it was obvious what was brewing. They have been outplayed by Rangers in at least 4 of the last 6 encounters while they carried an incredible amount of luck.

They may have been lulled into a false sense of security by the manner in which it developed I suppose. Even in this season we didn't always see what you might call any dramatically instant and consistent display of the turnaround. I feel the team has gradually worked towards the current level of performance rather than producing it from the outset. But it's here now for all to see.

And it's so traumatic for them that they're retreating into tired old fantasies they have been frothing at the mouth over for years now. But, but, they're skint. Currently there is apparently a belief that we're so skint the core of the team will be sold off in January.

I have been hearing that one from my own Celtic supporting brother in law who despite his choice of team is usually a rational person. Yet right now he too is descending into the trauma of looking for any route out of this 'disaster' no matter how irrational.

As well as looking for our team to be sold off in January their fans are looking for some sort of spectacular January signings to salvage the situation. But I have my doubts regarding how realistic that is. They have a large squad of high earners which is dependent on CL income to support while they have had no CL income the past two seasons.

They have made a couple of good sales such as Dembele and Tierney but where does that money go? Is it banked as their fans think or is it simply replacing that CL money to pay that wage bill? We will see.

Rangers are now firmly in the driving seat. The bulk of our pre split games are at home while the bulk of theirs are away. I feel there has to be a distinct possibility that they may drop more points than we do. In recent weeks they have been flattering to deceive against even lower level opposition. It took an injury time goal at home to avoid dropping 2 points to Hamilton.

I have seen even their own crowd in unguarded moments admit that they're struggling to get results against anybody at all. While we have laboured to a 1-0 win against Killie it was simply a struggle to score through as well organised a brick wall as I have seen in sometime. But we were always totally in control. We have been playing better than them across the board for sometime now.

I'm confident their trauma will maintain and perhaps even climb to new levels. Our first league match following the break is at home to St Mirren which I expect we're all confident will be a standard win. Their first league game following the break is away to Killie and I doubt they're anything like super confident about that. Their trauma will be eating away at them throughout this break just worrying about that in itself.

It's been a long haul these past 7 years but I think we can now say the banter years are well and truly behind us. If you think the current meltdown is impressive just watch what happens if we continue to look like taking this league starting with a letdown for them at stuffy old Killie on Wednesday 22nd January 2020. 

As Stevie G himself says, let's go.