by Darrell King

DAMARCUS BEASLEY is expected in Glasgow within the next 48 hours to complete his �£700,000 move to Rangers.

And the Ibrox club are actively pursuing their major target of the summer - Bordeaux midfielder Julien Faubert - despite claims the French club want �£10million.

Ibrox boss Walter Smith arrived back from holiday last night and aims to close in on several targets over the next couple of weeks. His first-team squad reports back to Murray Park on Wednesday for pre-season training.

Beasley helped the USA retain the Gold Cup with a 2-1 win over Mexico in Chicago last night, and confirmed afterwards he was heading off to sign for his new club.

The 25-year-old PSV Eindhoven left-winger was named in the Team of the Tournament, and he said: "My future has been sorted out and I know where I will be playing my football next season."

Meantime manager Smith has been tracking the player for some time, and Rangers hope to unveil him later this week.

Despite claims that moves for Osasuna's Carlos Cuellar and Wigan's Lee McCulloch are dead, sources insist they are still in talks with both clubs.

Personal terms have been agreed with the agents of the Spanish defender and the Scotland internationalist.

But, as of yet, Rangers have been unable to reach agreements over the fees. Osasuna want more than �£2m for Cuellar, while Wigan want �£2.5m for McCulloch.

A loan deal until January is also being looked at again for Andy Webster until his fee is sorted out.

The capture of Faubert would be a massive coup, and would signal Rangers biggest splash into the transfer market since they signed Mikel Arteta from Barcelona for just under �£6m five years ago.

Faubert, 23, has been capped twice for France and Smith is prepared to pay in the region of �£4.5m for the player who is also being tracked by Roma.

Rangers have been in dialogue with the player's agents, one of whom is the Italian Vincenzo Morabito, a close friend of chairman David Murray.

Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud is adamant his new manager, Laurent Blanc, wants to keep Faubert.

The player and his agents will hold talks in the next 24 hours with the hierarchy to demand he is allowed to leave.

They will point to the figures currently being splashed in France for similar players as a fair barometer - big spending Lyon have just paid Lille �£5m for Mathieu Bodmer.

And Bordeaux themselves are looking for �£5.5m for France Under-21 skipper Rio Mavuba - a player they rate more highly than Faubert, who has tried to quit Bordeaux in the past two transfer windows.

Still in for Faubert, Cuellar, McCulloch with Beasley supposedly signed and looking at a loan for Webster.

Still in for Faubert, Cuellar, McCulloch with Beasley supposedly signed and looking at a loan for Webster.

I don't see us getting Faubert if Bordeaux keep to the 10mill.

I hope Beasley produces more than he did with PSV

I don't see us getting Faubert if Bordeaux keep to the 10mill.

I hope Beasley produces more than he did with PSV

Aye I don't see that one happening. Was just a quick summary of the players the article linked us with.

Having said that if we were to make those signings I would be happy although extremely suprised.

I'm unsure on whether Beasley would be a good player for us, I guess you'd be a better judge than most.

From what i've seen of him,( not that much TBH ),but he does have pace and if you're a regular first pick for the USA , he can surely bring something to the team,but i suppose time will tell

Reading that you'd think we have about 10 million to spend.

But with Smith being back from his holidays then things may start to pick up.

This Webster saga is a confusing one but at least we'll have him on loan. Cuellar would still be a good signing and these 2 may be exactly what we need.

I was really hoping for McCulloch for a long time but ive started to wonder off him a bit at 2.5 million. I think he would be a good signing for 1.2 million.

Beasley looks a good bit of business.

Faubert could be a pipe dream.

Reading that you'd think we have about 10 million to spend.

But with Smith being back from his holidays then things may start to pick up.

This Webster saga is a confusing one but at least we'll have him on loan. Cuellar would still be a good signing and these 2 may be exactly what we need.

I was really hoping for McCulloch for a long time but ive started to wonder off him a bit at 2.5 million. I think he would be a good signing for 1.2 million.

Beasley looks a good bit of business.

Faubert could be a pipe dream.

I've been trying to figure out my own opinion on McCulloch's value. I know that's going to make me sound a bit nuts but i'll try and explain.

The papers initially say he's available for around �£1.25mil. So regularly reading that, that is the value we accept he's worth.

Then when we actually get into negotiations with Wigan they tell us they value him at �£2.5mil. As we are used to him being in the �£1.25mil bracket we see a doubling of his "valuation" as extortionate.

However it is the papers' initial mis-information that has set our perception of this player.

Bearing in mind he is a regular international footballer and an established premiership player, are Wigan really asking that much. I genuinely can't decide. Is my opinion warped by the tabloid nonsense?

Then when we actually get into negotiations with Wigan they tell us they value him at �£2.5mil. As we are used to him being in the �£1.25mil bracket we see a doubling of his "valuation" as extortionate.

However it is the papers' initial mis-information that has set our perception of this player.

Bearing in mind he is a regular international footballer and an established premiership player, are Wigan really asking that much. I genuinely can't decide. Is my opinion warped by the tabloid nonsense?

Yeah thats kinda the way Ive been thinking, they are doubling his valutation which throws things about a bit.

But I agree he is a regular international and plays week in week out in the premiership and I think he would be well above average in the SPL. At first I thought 1.8 million would be a fair fee as the clubs are meeting each other half way.

But if we go to 2.5 million you have to think could that money be going elsewhere on a better player. For eg I think we would get McFadden for that whom IMO is a better player.

But McCulloch would still be an asset for us IMO

Yeah thats kinda the way Ive been thinking, they are doubling his valutation which throws things about a bit.

But I agree he is a regular international and plays week in week out in the premiership and I think he would be well above average in the SPL. At first I thought 1.8 million would be a fair fee as the clubs are meeting each other half way.

But if we go to 2.5 million you have to think could that money be going elsewhere on a better player. For eg I think we would get McFadden for that whom IMO is a better player.

But McCulloch would still be an asset for us IMO

Agree with all of that.

Don't think its often we do lol.:cheers:

Rangers have made a new bid for Naismith

by Darrell King

RANGERS are today chasing FIVE new players in deals that could cost them more than �£10million.

An Ibrox source confirmed they were ready to splash the cash on the eve of pre-season training. Their targets are: Bordeaux's �£4.5m-rated France midfielder Julien Faubert: Official talks have started, the French club confirm.

Kilmarnock's Steven Naismith: A fresh bid - worth �£1.5m with add-ons - has been tabled to the Rugby Park club.

Wigan's Lee McCulloch: Talks have edged towards a figure of around �£2m.

advertisementPSV Eindhoven's DaMarcus Beasley: The American is due in Glasgow tomorrow to complete a �£700,000 move.

Osasuna defender Carlos Cuellar: Chief executive Martin Bain is still negotiating a �£2m deal with the Spaniards.

Rangers have been accused of dragging their heels in the transfer market as city rivals Celtic splashed out over �£8m on new players and hogged the headlines.

But a source said: "Significant funds have been set aside by the chairman for the right players. There are deals on-going on top of the three players - Darcheville, Broadfoot and Gow - that we have signed so far."

Naismith could be a Rangers player by the end of the week. A initial bid of �£400,000 plus add-on's was booted out by Killie earlier this month.

But Naismith's agent, Andrew McCormick, today confirmed: "Rangers submitted a new bid for Steven and talks are on-going. We await the outcome of those discussions. If Kilmarnock give me permission to talk to Rangers over Steven's terms, I will enter into that."

McCulloch also hopes to be a Rangers player shortly. His dream move has been on hold since January when Rangers' offer of �£750,000 was kicked out. But it is believed a deal is now close to completion.

Boss Walter Smith sees moves for Faubert and Cuellar as integral to his rebuilding plans and wants them in.

Bordeaux today confirmed Rangers have now been in touch over Faubert. The 23-year-old held talks with his club yesterday and informed them he wants to move to Scotland. Rangers must try to thrash out a fee, with Bordeaux very reluctant to sell.

"Rangers have notified us of their interest in Julien," said president Jean-Louis Triaud.

"They have asked for a meeting but this is a busy time for our club.

"I know Julien is very interested in joining Rangers. We always listen to what our players say, but that doesn't mean we agree with them.

"Our coach Laurent Blanc is in place and he wants Julien to stay. That is our position."

Spurs, Valencia and Roma have also been linked with Faubert.

More stories linking us with Faubert, Naismith, McCulloch, Cuellar and Beasley.

If we got these 5 in, would everyone be happy with that.

Would be all our movements in the transfer window?

More stories linking us with Faubert, Naismith, McCulloch, Cuellar and Beasley.

If we got these 5 in, would everyone be happy with that.

Would be all our movements in the transfer window?

I'd be happy with Naismith and Faubert. I can't remember Cuellar playing against us, I'm not a fan of McCulloch at all and Pete is a bit cautious about Beasley. Only time will tell!