Dubai News: Rangers 6 - 1 Lok Taskent (Defoe 10; Ojo 27; Davis 49; Tavernier 70; Stewart 80pen, 90)

To be honest I wonder if it was Portsmouth's decision rather than ours. He hasn't featured very much. I really like Ross McCrorie but sadly I just don't think he's technically good enough to be part of the team going forward and the McCrorie with a big future at Rangers will be Alan McGregor's replacement Robbie.

18 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think Ross is injured so he's returned to us for R&R.

I still think he has a future here and is capable of improvement if he can stay clear of injury and get another loan move.

Gerrard's style of play asks the 3 centre mids to have a mastery over the ball and to dominate possession. Our whole style of play is built on this at the moment and McCrorie doesn't fit into it. Of course I wish him all the best and I hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it at the moment.

15 hours ago, DMAA said:

Gerrard's style of play asks the 3 centre mids to have a mastery over the ball and to dominate possession. Our whole style of play is built on this at the moment and McCrorie doesn't fit into it. Of course I wish him all the best and I hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it at the moment.

That's also the reason Docherty struggles to feature but in McCrorie's case at least, he's still only 21 so plenty of time to adapt to the midfield role or perhaps gravitate to another position in the defence where I think he'll be better suited in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

That's also the reason Docherty struggles to feature but in McCrorie's case at least, he's still only 21 so plenty of time to adapt to the midfield role or perhaps gravitate to another position in the defence where I think he'll be better suited in the long run.

Agreed !

I strongly opine that we should keep a hold of Ross McCrorie and can eventually see him being a solid Rangers and Scotland captain.

He needs to work hard at his game and desperately needs regular first team football.

The other thing is that SG&Co won´t be here forever but Ross is the kind of lad who could end up staying with us his whole career.

In my opinion we need to stop using the term "only 21" as if that's young enough to still develop the necessary skills.  If players haven't developed the technical skills at that age, it is unlikely they will at all.  By 16, players are expected to have strong technical skills (usually on both feet these days), good spacial awareness, and good decision making.  These will continue to be developed of course, but there needs to already be a player there.  I'd argue that McCrorie doesn't have a lot of that so never will now.  Barker is another who I don't think will make it because his first few steps are made without looking up.  Docherty is another who doesn't look up quickly enough when he's on the ball.  These are traits that they must learn early.  In our team especially, the next pass is decided before the player even receives the ball.  If they're not capable of playing that way, we might as well offload them.  That's brutal but necessary.

These guys now have to compare themselves with other 'young' players around the world.  Being 21 is not an excuse.  Having said that, I don't know how a talent such as Doc or McCrorie makes it through our academy without achieving some basic levels like these.  That's disappointing but no doubt something that is being fixed by Wilson, because he knows these points better than any of us.

37 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

In my opinion we need to stop using the term "only 21" as if that's young enough to still develop the necessary skills.  If players haven't developed the technical skills at that age, it is unlikely they will at all

That's basically my thoughts on McCrorie. However as @Frankie says defence is his most likely future position and it is possible that he could become a squad player in that position. At the moment I find even this unlikely because we have 4 excellent centre backs at the club and I don't think he'll cut it at right back for the same reason as centre mid.

Edited by DMAA