Under 18 League Table

Was interesting listening to Craig Mulholland being interviewed by David Edgar at the weekend's Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart.   Essentially saying how they are constantly looking to put the youths into situations they find uncomfortable, to challenge them and see how they react.     To the point where they did not bring some of their most senior development players to the tournament because they would benefit more from being on loan or training with the first team squad.   A number of our squad were therefore 17-18 I believe, although we had one 15 yo (Leon King) and a couple of 16yo's I believe.  Not sure what the age limit was for the tournament but the chat was that our squad was one of the youngest and we again reached the semi-finals.

Assuming this approach is mirrored within the teams playing in the U-18 league, I wonder what the average age was for each of the games?

Another interesting bit of information was that as an academy they targeted having 240 "best v best" games in the last year, but actually had circa 300.  This includes the european youth league but also some of the other challenge matches we have held against teams from across Europe particularly. 

Should be an interesting couple of years ahead to see whether this more strategically structured approach will see more players either establishing themselves in the first team squad or being sold for a decent fee.

Scotland being Scotland we have come up with a bizarre and complicated youth league. Each of the eight teams in the Elite League play each other twice. They also play the eleven teams in the tier below once for League points. So when Aberdeen drew 2-2 with Ross County they each got 1 point for their respective leagues. That makes a total of 25 games.

Rangers have the biggest and best squad but to it should be noted we haven't played Celtic, Aberdeen or Hamilton Accies yet.

25 minutes ago, elfideldo said:

Under 18 League table is almost impossible to find. Fortunately the results are on the SFA website so I made my own.

Team Pl W D L F A GD PTS
Rangers 12 12 0 0 52 4 48 36
Aberdeen 10 9 1 0 29 8 21 28
Celtic 12 8 2 2 34 12 22 26
Hamilton Acc 10 5 2 3 12 9 3 17
Kilmarnock 12 5 1 6 17 16 1 16
Hibernian 11 5 1 5 20 21 -1 16
Motherwell 12 4 1 7 18 31 -13 13
Hearts 13 3 3 7 12 22 -10 12

Excellent :rfc:

3 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Assuming this approach is mirrored within the teams playing in the U-18 league, I wonder what the average age was for each of the games?

Under 18's is a dual year U18's & U17's, Rangers have a very big squad, possibly too big. As a consequence the only U16 to start games is Leon King who hasn't played with his own age group for some time. The opposition would generally have a few U16's and in Hearts case they have field some U15's in these league games.

12 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Not sure what the age limit was for the tournament but the chat was that our squad was one of the youngest and we again reached the semi-finals.

It was an U19 Tournament Rangers had 3 x U19, 4 x U18, 4 x U17 and 1 x U16.

WE were probably the youngest squad, although winners Rapid Vienna almost mirrored our squad exactly having one U17 less, which meant either an U18 or U19 more. They also had the player of the tournament in Yusuf Demir who is U17.

Edited by elfideldo

It's still all about getting some of these lads to make the giant leap from youths to first team. It's great to see us sitting on top of the league and to read about success at this level, but ultimately the purpose has to be producing finished first team players or else it's all just an expensive vanity project. 

Saw the lad Leon King on the highlights from Germany, he's a big lad for 15! Is that why he's playing so far above his age group do you think Elfideldo? I recall seeing Billy Gilmour at a similar age and he looked like a wee boy compared to the other kids he was playing with, but his ability really made his stand out. 

Anyway, can I echo Stewarty, many thanks Elfideldo.