Gerrard slams Alfredo critics

Steven Gerrard slams Alfredo Morelos' Rangers critics and claims there's an agenda to 'kill' striker's career
The Ibrox gaffer didn't hold back as he defended the Colombian from criticism aimed at him since the derby victory at Celtic Park.

By
Gary Ralston
  • 22:30, 8 JAN 2020
Steven Gerrard has accused jealous rivals of trying to kill the Rangers career of Alfredo Morelos.
The Ibrox boss claims there is an agenda to drive the Colombian striker out of Scottish football and undermine their title challenge.

Celtic fingered Morelos in a recent statement for his cut throat gesture to their fans after Rangers claimed he was subjected to racist abuse by home supporters following his red card in the recent Old Firm game.
The Parkhead club have also been angered after Ryan Christie was hit with a three match ban but no action was taken against Morelos over clashes with Christie, Scott Brown and Anthony Ralston in a game last season.
Former Parkhead striker Chris Sutton also claimed Morelos, who has scored 28 goals this season, should cop at least a five game ban for his gesture in the aftermath of his dismissal on December 29, which Rangers insist meant only ‘game over’.
Bullish Gerrard, speaking from his club’s mid-winter training camp in Dubai, also told rivals to get their own house in order as he went on the front foot in defence of his player.

Gerrard said: “Is Alfredo perfect right now? No. Will he makes a few mistakes going forward? I predict he probably will, but a lot of the fallout and the opinion, people do want to kill him.

“People want to see him on the other side of the world for good. You also have to understand where that’s coming from and the reasons why it’s getting said.
“It’s because he is a threat, it’s because he scores big goals and is a big player for Rangers. He is one of the big reasons and the key factors that, if we are to be successful, they know it will be largely down to his goals and his contribution.
“We understand all that, there’s no problem. The most important thing for us is that he’s going to help us massively in the second half of the season.
“The people that fire the negativity also have to also remember what they have got under their roof as well. Not everyone is perfect in other teams as well.
“I’m not going to sit here and paint a picture that Alfredo’s an angel or he’s perfect but what I can guarantee is he’s doing everything he can to improve.”
Morelos has been given additional time off to spend with his family in Cerete as he misses the next three games as a result of suspensions picked up in the Premiership and Scottish Cup.
Gerrard has also backed the statement released by Rangers in the aftermath of their Parkhead victory that stated the cut throat gesture by Morelos was lost in cultural translation.

Gerrard also spoke of his respect for Hoops boss Neil Lennon as he swatted aside criticism from former Parkhead frontman John Hartson, who claimed his handshake at the end of the match should have been more chivalrous.

Gerrard added: “Listen, it’s an emotional game. You guys have been around me every time I have spoken about Neil Lennon and Celtic and I have shown nothing but respect. That will continue to be the same.
“As a pundit, I have been there and they all have to please their bosses and try and create headlines and go a little bit outside the box.
“I have nothing but respect for John Hartson. I’ve had people firing bullets my way since I was 18 years of age. My shield is up and that will continue, no problem.
“In terms of the celebrations, it is my responsibility to make sure the players celebrate in the right way.
“That individual situation (Morelos) is one that the club have already dealt with and spoken about. It is important people know it is not something we ignore or forget.

“We always try to ask the players to behave and celebrate in the right way.
“We’ll deal with it (the charge) if it comes. We can’t control the decisions that are made by other people but, if they come, we’ll deal with it.
“The Ryan Christie situation is for Neil Lennon to talk about, it’s for Celtic to deal with.
“In terms of consistency across the board with referees and getting cited, all the managers are going to ask for consistency - especially when you’re on the wrong side of it.
“Prior to that, we’ve had decisions that haven’t gone our way. A Cup Final went against us because of a decision.
“We never got a penalty up at Aberdeen. Look, you can cry wolf, you can get the violin out if you want but the reality is, you have to get on with it.
“Whatever comes our way, positive or negative, we’ll deal with it and move on.”

Gerrard spot on as usual.

One point that's annoying is that so-so incidents in a game from over year ago are still getting oxygen. 

"The Parkhead club have also been angered after Ryan Christie was hit with a three match ban but no action was taken against Morelos over clashes with Christie, Scott Brown and Anthony Ralston in a game last season".

Edited by Rick Roberts