[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 Stranraer (Arfield 44; Defoe 66pen)

I don’t think so ever saw a title-winning Rangers team that’s didn’t occasionally turn in the sort of display we saw yesterday. I think we’re in danger of over-analysing our situation and reaching too many final conclusions about certain players - the same sort of conclusions we were only recently reaching about Barisic and Katic. 

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we’re in danger of over-analysing our situation

Football, in general, is over-analysed nowadays.  

It was a cup game.  We fielded a weakened team and won, with a bit of huffing and puffing.  That's about it.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don’t think so ever saw a title-winning Rangers team that’s didn’t occasionally turn in the sort of display we saw yesterday. I think we’re in danger of over-analysing our situation and reaching too many final conclusions about certain players - the same sort of conclusions we were only recently reaching about Barisic and Katic. 

That's fair @Bill.  I know I wanted Morelos and Barisic out and have obviously been proven wrong, but I can't help feel this level of concern.  Do you think Jones, Ojo and Barker are worth perservering with?  I've got very little patience for them, but I do have confidence in the management team to make the right decisions.  I was one of a few who liked Kent from the beginning, and I was patient with him mainly because his strength of character was clear from the start, even if his in-game decisions were not great.  That's what I doubt about these others.  I just don't see that mental strength in them at all.  As you know, it's a game and club we are all passionate about so this won't be the last time I'll have a good moan about a performance like last night.  Maybe our intolerance of performances like that is what has made us the most successful club in football.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

That's fair @Bill.  I know I wanted Morelos and Barisic out and have obviously been proven wrong, but I can't help feel this level of concern.  Do you think Jones, Ojo and Barker are worth perservering with?  I've got very little patience for them, but I do have confidence in the management team to make the right decisions.  I was one of a few who liked Kent from the beginning, and I was patient with him mainly because his strength of character was clear from the start, even if his in-game decisions were not great.  That's what I doubt about these others.  I just don't see that mental strength in them at all.  As you know, it's a game and club we are all passionate about so this won't be the last time I'll have a good moan about a performance like last night.  Maybe our intolerance of performances like that is what has made us the most successful club in football.

What I think is this rebuild is a process that takes time, resources and good judgement. We are nowhere near the end of that process so to expect perfection or to complain about the lack of it is a bit pointless. I still find myself doing it of course ?

This game means nothing in the overall picture. Yes the performance was a a bit flat overall but there was still never a hint of anything but total dominance. Stranraer didn't register a single shot at goal or even gain a corner. Rangers got in 33 shots and had 12 corners.

The yahoos hardly covered themselves in glory against a Partick side looking good to drop into league one but who managed to get in 6 shots 2 of which were on target. I still think we have the best side in the league.

Too much over analysing this game me thinks. It was the first game after a winter break with a changed line up against a team that had no desire to get over the half way line. SG said it bored him and to be honest I've been bored by domestic cup games for decades. Let's face it the Scottish Cup is a distraction. We need to stay focused on the league (the thing that actually matters) and not get to bothered about secondary baubles