Scottish Cup 5th Round: Hamilton Acas v Rangers

12 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

If you listen to the usual suspects we're a cert for BSC Glasgow at Ibrox.

Of course if recent history is anything to judge from that likely wont happen. At this stage last season we pulled Kilmarnock away then in the next round sheep away. A personal preference would be DU/hubz at Ibrox. 

BSC Glasgow were literally the school team for one of our local primary schools a few years ago. How they've created a club from that is nothing short of miraculous. This is a great draw for them, but getting us at Ibrox would have been the dream for a lot of the guys involved. Maybe we'll get them in quarters.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Where did you obtain this information?

In recent finals we've had two second tier sides play each other, Gretna in the final etc.  

It's cup football, so occasionally we'll have to play away, on poor pitches and at small grounds.  Take that away and it kind of defeats the purpose. 

I'm from Hamilton, I know the club very well indeed and have been to more Accies games than any other team but Rangers. They have never won a major trophy in their history and they know they're not going to win this one. It's all about getting as much money as possible for them.

If they had the option to switch this tie to Ibrox they would do so in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, compo said:

I seen to remember the accies causing an upset against a far better Rangers team than the present team we should show them respect. 

I was at that game, Adrian Sprott who was a full time cop and part time footballer did the damage. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them but it turned out to be just one of those freak occurrences. My suggestion isn't about disrespecting Accies. It's about what their preference would be given the option. 

Another memory of that day was that Chris Woods broke a shutout record during the match then conceded a goal to a part timer. It was actually the fault of Dave McPherson who was out the door soon after. The glare Souness gave him sticks in my mind too.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

And since the Scottish game is so cash strapped in instances like this it would make sense for the SFA to break with tradition and allow the teams drawn together to decide which of their grounds it's played at no matter who is drawn out first.

Quite a silly idea.

All the money in the world would be of no use to a football club that thought like a loser.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

They have never won a major trophy in their history and they know they're not going to win this one.

The romance of the Cup is alive and well then.

Should we just start at the QF stage with the top 8 SPFL sides then?  

It's up to you wheher you want to believe that Accies don't give the proverbial flying about any "romance of the Cup". But I know for a fact financial feasibility is their major concern. And frankly I would hazard a guess this romance of the cup pish means absolutely nothing to club chairmen all over Scotland. 

Club Statement: SFA Notice

Hamilton Academical can today confirm that it has received a Notice of Complaint from the Scottish FA Compliance Officer relating to alleged breaches of its gambling rules on the part of our Head Coach, Brian Rice.

The club has co-operated fully with the association throughout the investigation period and indeed provided written submissions of self-declaration from the Head Coach himself, with supplementary communication provided by the Chief Executive, Colin McGowan.

Statement from Head Coach Brian Rice:

“Firstly, I would like to express my regret to the players, coaching staff and my friends and colleagues at Hamilton Academical for the lapse that has prompted me to voluntarily acknowledge breaches of the Scottish Football Association’s gambling rules.

“This decision was one of the hardest I have had to take but in a way also the easiest. I have made no secret of the fact that I have struggled with the disease that is gambling addiction in the past. The reality is I am an addict and while I have been proud of the fact I have been in recovery from this disease, a key part of the recovery programme is honesty: honesty to myself, and honesty to those who have and who continue to support me, including my family and my football family at Hamilton.

“I wrote a letter to the Scottish FA self-reporting my gambling and did so as an admission that my disease has returned, in order that I commit to recovery. I have apologised to those at the club in whom I have sought counsel and I apologise today to the players, fans and colleagues I have let down through my gambling addiction.

“I accept that a breach of the rules will come with punishment and I accept that. The reason I am speaking out is to remove the stigma attached to this horrible, isolating disease, in the hope that those involved in Scottish football who are similarly in its grasp feel they can seek help and draw strength from my admission.

“After committing to recovery I cannot believe that I have found myself back in the grip of gambling addiction but this disease is not cured with a finite course of treatment. You are an addict for life and through my commitment to the 12-step recovery programme, I am confident I can stay on top of this disease one day at a time.

“I am eternally grateful to the club for its unwavering support, both seen and unseen. I have spoken to my management team and players and they have been great and they understand the reason for me speaking out today. It is my intention to atone through openness, honesty and togetherness.

“I look forward to a future founded on truth and commitment to recovery and it is my wish that anyone who feels vulnerable, helpless or hopeless in the grip of this silent yet destructive disease can come forward and seek help.”

Statement from Colin McGowan on behalf of the Board of Hamilton Academical Football Club:

“On behalf of my fellow directors at Hamilton Academical, we are proud that our Head Coach, Brian Rice, has today spoken publicly of his struggles with gambling addiction. As a recovering addict myself – and somebody who has dedicated the last 20 years to counselling individuals across the country, from all walks of life – I believe Brian’s actions are a show of colossal strength and inspiration. 

“Having spoken extensively to Brian since his addiction resurfaced, I know that his followed a well-worn path from smaller, less frequent bets to the snowball effect of a daily addiction. He has re-engaged fully with professionals, is committed to recovery and has the full support of all at Hamilton Academical.

“Honesty is a key step in the recovery programme and is non-negotiable. It is why today is such a significant step. I would like to thank the Scottish FA for the empathy shown throughout this process, whilst respectful of the need to safeguard the integrity of the game and the rules upon which football is founded.

“As a Head Coach in the Scottish Premiership, news of his breach of gambling rules will come with profile, media attention and scrutiny. But this is a far more serious issue than a breach of a football rule, a breach that both Brian and the club accepts.

“It is the latest example of a disease that afflicts many people across Scotland and doesn’t discriminate by profile or professional capability.

“As a club, we are proud of the work undertaken to support the local community. Today, we support our Head Coach and we feel certain that the Community will get fully behind him. We also believe Brian’s public admission today can be hugely significant in helping the lives of other coaches and players who can relate to his addiction and other addictions. It is my intention to write to my colleagues at the SPFL to table a proposal to the Scottish FA’s Professional Game Board for the introduction of a gambling amnesty in our game: one that will enable people to confront their addiction in a safe and non-judgmental environment, with help and support readily available.

“Brian’s courage today can be a seminal moment for Scottish football.”

Why go to all that bother?!

Just compare expenditure on players and award the trophy to the team that has paid the most.