The latest Chinese virus

7 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

There's probably a few on here who actually do and likely think it's a neo-liberal/Zionist conspiracy against the poor Chinese Communist Party to boot.

Can you not put aside your political views and concede it is a crisis which needs a global reaction which includes the Chinese

2 minutes ago, les186 said:

Can you not put aside your political views and concede it is a crisis which needs a global reaction which includes the Chinese

We're where we're at now because of the actions of the Chinese Communist Party are we not?

They had the chance to contain and suppress it before it ever left Wuhan, as late as January they were telling the WHO there was no human to human transmission, fit they like eh? 9_9

Just now, forlanssister said:

We're where we're at now because of the actions of the Chinese Communist Party are we not?

They had the chance to contain and suppress it before it ever left Wuhan, as late as January they were telling the WHO there was no human to human transmission, fit they like eh? 9_9

I think the blame game can come afterwards. We need to talk to the Chinese to establish as best a response as we can to this devastating virus

1 minute ago, les186 said:

I think the blame game can come afterwards. We need to talk to the Chinese to establish as best a response as we can to this devastating virus

You expect them to be open, honest and truthful given their behaviour so far?

Just now, forlanssister said:

You expect them to be open, honest and truthful given their behaviour so far?

I've listened to British doctors and they are saying they are talking to their Chinese colleagues so lets let them get on with it.

Just now, les186 said:

I've listened to British doctors and they are saying they are talking to their Chinese colleagues so lets let them get on with it.

Pity those Chinese doctors didn't talk to and warn the rest of the worlds doctors when this virus was first identified.

We face probably the greatest existential threat to humanity ever for no other reason than the Chinese care more about losing face than they do about humanity itself. 

1 minute ago, forlanssister said:

Pity those Chinese doctors didn't talk to and warn the rest of the worlds doctors when this virus was first identified.

We face probably the greatest existential threat to humanity ever for no other reason than the Chinese care more about losing face than they do about humanity itself. 

I give up. If you want to argue that the Chinese are such an evil threat and cooperation with them is useless then maybe we are doomed,

There is indisputably an issue that has to be raised with China. This was always a disaster waiting to come out of China given their eating habits. How many times has this happened albeit on a smaller scale till now? I have lost count.

SARS and various bird flus off the top of my head. And now this. It's not coincidence the source is always the same. Though while saying that I would still maintain that Trump is a cretin and an idiot trying to draw the ire of his half-witted followers by labeling it 'China virus"

Without a shadow of a doubt this will result in Chinese, Vietnamese, any oriental looking people in the US and beyond suffering all manner of abuse for something that's nothing to do with them.

But getting back to the virus, i'm concerned that thus far I have seen no exit strategy and to be fair I can't think of one either. Lock downs and isolating etc may reduce infection rates in the short term but that's not a long term solution.

What happens when/if the infection rates fall to low figures? Everybody back to normal then it just skyrockets all over again? It might even be the case that the only end game they can come up with is to at some point just let it run it's course. You either survive it and develop a resistance or you don't.

1 hour ago, compo said:

Listen lads I think this virus is just getting going listening to the wireless during the night there was talk of a second strain on it's way 

There was a time not so long ago during which people knew and accepted that there were always going to be illnesses/infections which would take many people prematurely. It's exactly why many in third world countries to this day continue breeding like rabbits. In the expectation that a proportion of their offspring wont see adulthood.

In more recent times at least in the West we have come to expect that most problems can be solved and that everybody or most should be living into their 80's and dying peacefully in their beds of old age. We may be about to get a dose of hard reality. A taste of what earlier eras took for granted.