The latest Chinese virus

I can't get my head round the price of gold, which is more or less the same price it was last August. In times of crisis like this you'd think there would be a flight out of currencies and stocks into gold, which is usually one of the bellwethers of economic prospects. It seems contradictory and since investment behaviour tends to reflect the best available information (before you or I hear about it) this is puzzling.

What the recent TV broadcasts has shown me is that "Nippie" when she stops spouting independence is actually quite intelligent as shown by her take on efforts to control this nasty situation,still don't like her or her usual crap though.

4 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

What the recent TV broadcasts has shown me is that "Nippie" when she stops spouting independence is actually quite intelligent as shown by her take on efforts to control this nasty situation,still don't like her or her usual crap though.

I don't mind her being part of it but it seems madness to me that we don't have a single coordinated effort throughout the UK. It just makes no sense at all. This is far too important to still be worrying about territorial crap like devolution. We can get back to that when this is all over.

8 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

When I saw her on the telly this afternoon I thought for the first time ever she was talking sense. She is obviously worried. Let’s hope her followers will be persuaded but I hear a lot of scary stories from partially reliable exaggerators.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I can't get my head round the price of gold, which is more or less the same price it was last August. In times of crisis like this you'd think there would be a flight out of currencies and stocks into gold, which is usually one of the bellwethers of economic prospects. It seems contradictory and since investment behaviour tends to reflect the best available information (before you or I hear about it) this is puzzling.

Read an article yesterday from an investment research company which was interesting.

Said, probably correctly, that the time to liquidate stock portfolios has likely passed.  Probably too late now.  Also said, definitely accurately, that there are buying opportunities out there....  the suggestion was two sectors in particular.... renewable energy and precious metals.

My pension is obliterated and I know I was more fortunate than many previously.  I’ve taken to rebalancing financial priorities and am likely to start investing in the stock market again over the next few months to hopefully see the markets rebound and recover some of the deep losses.

I just think right now, Bill, this is so unprecedented that the current “fight or flight” of financial markets is seeing a great deal of flight to cash, rather than any other options.

If in right about the flight being to cash then there will be an awful lot of money sat on the sidelines waiting for buying opportunities when things settle a bit.... time could be prime right now.

None of this is investment advice as I’m not qualified to give such.... merely some person musings.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I don't mind her being part of it but it seems madness to me that we don't have a single coordinated effort throughout the UK. It just makes no sense at all. This is far too important to still be worrying about territorial crap like devolution. We can get back to that when this is all over.

Completely agree.  Indeed, I’d be inclined to go further and have governments globally take the advice of the scientific community with the requisite experience to dictate the best way to deal with this.

Thougb I do appreciate that is nigh on impossible and would be unwieldy to achieve.

18 minutes ago, compo said:

Looking at the fatality rate it looks like a higher percentage of deaths to cases now  I wonder if this horrid virus is getting stronger and more lethal .

I think the issues surrounding mortality rates are probably many and complex. I doubt we'll have anything like a clear picture for quite a while. I also suspect it depends a great deal on where any community is on the infection timeline. Of course the fact is I haven't a scooby what's really happening but I do think hoping for the best is probably more productive than fearing the worst???

Edited by Bill