The latest Chinese virus

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

Likewise.

I don't think I know best.  I am relying on the experts that acknowledge mental health issues are real.

You on the other hand are relying on a quote from Nietzsche who wasn't even a health professional, let alone a psychologist.  I guess because he could be objective he must be right :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, craig said:

You on the other hand are relying on a quote from Nietzsche

I'm relying on my own sense.  Nietzsche just happens to state it more eloquently than me.

Relying on experts, particularly ones who have a financial investment in the subject, has its drawbacks.  

We're veering off topic though.  I'm happy for you to prefer the opinion of experts - I hope it works well for you.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I'm relying on my own sense.  Nietzsche just happens to state it more eloquently than me.

Relying on experts, particularly ones who have a financial investment in the subject, has its drawbacks.  

We're veering off topic though.  I'm happy for you to prefer the opinion of experts - I hope it works well for you.

Ahhh, so your own sense is also better than the health professionals (not just psychologists....) who acknowledge mental health issues are real - rather arrogant of you to dismiss something you don't have expertise of.

Nietzsche may be more eloquent but it doesn't make him, or you, more accurate than the health professionals - it is arrogance, or ignorance.

It will work better for me than it will for you if you merely decide to trust your own intuition on areas outside of your own expertise :thup:

As you say though, I am more than happy to agree to disagree.

The experts at WHO initially agreed with the Chinese government's assessment of the Covid-19 situation.  The expert Chief Editor at esteemed medical journal, Lancet, totally contradicted himself, on the subject of the NHS preparation for this crisis, within a matter of days (in order to make a political point).  

The Scottish government's Chief Medical Officer was flummoxed by a question about what will happen if the situation increases rapidly.

I'll stick with being ignorant and arrogant if it means questioning professional expertise.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

The experts at WHO initially agreed with the Chinese government's assessment of the Covid-19 situation.  The expert Chief Editor at esteemed medical journal, Lancet, totally contradicted himself, on the subject of the NHS preparation for this crisis, within a matter of days (in order to make a political point).  

The Scottish government's Chief Medical Officer was flummoxed by a question about what will happen if the situation increases rapidly.

I'll stick with being ignorant and arrogant if it means questioning professional expertise.

During a long life there are some things you learn by bitter experience that you would otherwise never believe to be true. One of these is that you should always be sceptical of so called experts and arrive at your own decision of trust or suspicion. The best reason why you should do this is because it won't be the experts who bear the consequences in your life of accepting or rejecting their opinion. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

"There exists almost everywhere in Europe today a morbid sensitivity and susceptibility to pain, likewise a repellent intemperance in lamentation, a tenderisation which, with the aid of religion and odds and ends philosophy, would like to deck itself out as something higher - there exists a downright cult of suffering.  The unmanliness of that which is in fanatic circles baptised 'pity' is, I think, the first thing which leaps to the eye."

Neitzsche, 1886.

@Gonso79, it is a bit ironic using a quote from Nietzsche who suffered from depression and went mad.

18 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

@Gonso79, it is a bit ironic using a quote from Nietzsche who suffered from depression and went mad.

In a sense, yes it is.  I don't think that detracts from the merits of the quote though.

Nietzsche wrote quite a few things I think are absolute bollocks as well.

Edited by Gonzo79