The latest Chinese virus

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm no aficionado of medical journals. All I know is The Lancet is in a list of top 5 most prestigious in the world.

Any prestige is demeaned somewhat when the Chief Editor completely contradicts himself, so blatantly, within a few weeks.

46 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Any prestige is demeaned somewhat when the Chief Editor completely contradicts himself, so blatantly, within a few weeks.

Well I would suggest you need to get the word out there. Because i'm more than confident that your opinion on that will have absolutely no effect on the prestige of this journal. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Did you ignore the series of Tweets posted by fs?

I know nothing about any tweet, i'm not a tweet person. Tweets are irrelevant to what i'm telling you. No tweet will have any effect on this journal.

It will have no effect on it's circulation, the number of times articles in it are cited, nor the number of researchers striving to be published in it. That will all remain the same as it was last week, last month, last year.

The prestige and ranking of the journal will be exactly the same. This is a medical journal. Not a tweet zone.  But if you want to believe that scientific journals are ranked by tweets be my guest.

15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I know nothing about any tweet, i'm not a tweet person. Tweets are irrelevant to what i'm telling you. No tweet will have any effect on this journal.

It will have no effect on it's circulation, the number of times articles in it are cited, nor the number of researchers striving to be published in it. That will all remain the same as it was last week, last month, last year.

The prestige and ranking of the journal will be exactly the same. This is a medical journal. Not a tweet zone.  But if you want to believe that scientific journals are ranked by tweets be my guest.

The Tweets from the \editor in Chief are in this very thread, literally a couple of posts below what you posted.  And the tweets from said editor-in-chief, merely weeks before that article you posted from him were completely contradictory to what he wrote in his article.  He loses credibility when he does a complete 180 on the subject in such a very short period of time.

Maybe instead of pointing your finger at Gonzo you should be pointing your finger at this editor-in-chief who changed his opinion on this entirely - a complete polar opposite opinion.... within a couple of weeks.

Sure, maybe that editor's tweets won't change the standing of the journal - but it certainly calls into question his knowledge on what he writes when he can flip-flop his opinion so suddenly.

29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Tweets are irrelevant to what i'm telling you. 

Even though a Tweet from the Chief Editor of the journal you're referring to completely contradicts the comments you've used to make your point?

How convenient. 

I don't use Twitter but when relevant Tweets are posted here I will read them.

10 hours ago, craig said:

For those looking to make online delivery orders and, particularly, the early risers amongst you.... just a little of what I experienced that MIGHT help you....

I tried ordering stuff for my soon-to-be ex-wife and my teenage kid on Friday night on ASDA...  I was on before midnight UK time when the slots were opening up.. as soon as it hit midnight the website crashed... I eventually got on at about 12.05... every slot was gone except :

1.  I could get a "click and collect", no deliveries available.  Fair enough.  I secured a click and collect.

2.  You get 4 hours in which to complete your cart, pay and therefore secure the click and collect date and time you have selected

3.  For me that meant giving the spot up as the ex hadn't put any groceries in the cart - she wanted me to secure the delivery slot first and then she would fill the cart.... as I only had 4 hours, i.e. until 4m UK time, I gave the slot up

4.  Tried getting a delivery slot tonight as soon as it hit midnight UK time.  Site crashed, no surprise.

5.  By the time I got in, no deliveries and no click and collect either.  Complete failure 

6.  However, as I am sitting at my laptop at 4.20am UK time I had a thought "wait.... if my click and collect from Friday night would be released back into circulation after 4 hours maybe the same is true of others this evening"...

7.  Sure as you like, I log back into ASDA and there is a delivery slot (better than click and collect in the ex's eyes) that has opened up.  Clearly someone secured a delivery slot and then never completed their purchase before the slot got released again.  I secured it and she now has a full delivery of groceries Monday April 13th.  And can adjust the cart anytime till the day before.

So, point being, for those trying to get delivery slots online and struggling, and if you are an early riser..... get up just after 4am and you never know, there may be a slot available to you that wasn't available 4 hours previously.

Good luck.

Craig, the big problem are rollover delivery slots. These book the same slot every week for as long as you have a delivery pass (£36 for 6 months but free delivery). Which means there will never be another slot for most people unless they stop this practice or greatly increase capacity.