The latest Chinese virus

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 16:14, Gonzo79 said:

Being upset about not getting a warm enough cup of coffee is considered a mental health issue nowadays.

The whole thing's a scam.  Life can be tough - get on with it.

It has been suggested that the younger generation are more susceptible to genuine methal health issues because they have been less well prepared mentally in youth, i.e. they've been spoilt rotten.

I think there is probably merit in that argument. Giving kids whatever they want and not making them work for anything has long term consequences. It's no coincidence that the generation who had a tougher upbringing are generally mentally tougher.

Back to the virus. Currently, there are 150 ventilators per million people in England but only 54 ventilators per million people in Scotland. In England there is a stated aim to increase this figure to 283 then to 566 ventilators per million people. In Scotland the stated objective is to increase to 108 ventilators per million people. Please don't ask about ICU beds, it's too depressing to write about.

How safe does that make you feel? 

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You get what you vote for and around 45% of Scots vote for incompetent wankers.

Agree was it not Nippie that was once started cutting back on health when in another post.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I don't think there's any doubt that increasingly shelter upbringing due to over-parenting is denying children that most precious of characteristics ... resilience. Without a foundation of resilience it's inevitable that many fall over at the first hint of adversity. This manifests itself in the children but is a direct result of fear and low confidence in parenting, which in turn is a direct result of the sensationalism and appalling behaviour of the mainstream media over the last 50 years. One feeds on the other and accelerates in each generation, until now we are handing over the national reins to the most dysfunctional generation ever.

And what do the SNP do? Ban spanking and try (and fail) to give every child in the country a state appointed named person to make sure they are suitably molly-coddled.

Anyway back to the topic.

18 minutes ago, Bill said:

Back to the virus. Currently, there are 150 ventilators per million people in England but only 54 ventilators per million people in Scotland. In England there is a stated aim to increase this figure to 283 then to 566 ventilators per million people. In Scotland the stated objective is to increase to 108 ventilators per million people. Please don't ask about ICU beds, it's too depressing to write about.

How safe does that make you feel? 

I've given the UK government the benefit of the doubt a bit on here so I'll maybe do the same here with the Scottish government. I think the projected intensive care numbers will be lower for Scotland and the ventilator targets will be calculated based on a ratio using those numbers. The virus will hit England worse because they were a week or two ahead of us in terms of the spread of the virus when a UK wide lockdown (of sorts) came into effect. Add to that that England are more urbanised than Scotland and have a huge population centre to deal with in London and I think they you have a number of factors coming together which will result in higher number of people infected.

Edited by DMAA

Its okay setting up field hospitals in exhibition centres but do we have enough trained staff to operate within them there seems to be a shortage of everything from masks to ventilator's at one time there would be factories up and down the country making them but not now its buy from abroad probably defective junk from china will be turning up 

Just now, compo said:

Its okay setting up field hospitals in exhibition centres but do we have enough trained staff to operate within them there seems to be a shortage of everything from masks to ventilator's at one time there would be factories up and down the country making them but not now its buy from abroad probably defective junk from china will be turning up 

Yes, I think we are suffering from being a country who don't really do manufacturing anymore. We are relying on countries with a significant manufacturing base to sell masks etc. to us and they are going to do that until they've dished them out to their own first. I wonder if this has been partly why Germany has fared better than us so far in this too.