The latest Chinese virus

20 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I will maintain an exile from this forum but will make this last post here the reason for doing so being it has a connection to my father. As with many fathers he was instrumental in making me a Rangers fan. Last Wednesday, November 11th, he tested positive for covid-19. Just 4 days later on Sunday November 15th he died in hospital.

For many and perhaps even most people including me the virus has become distant. Maybe especially so me since I'm living in a country where there's a culture of denial that it even exists.  It's just stories on the news which doesn't directly touch them aside from the restrictions it has imposed on everyday life.

Now it has touched me directly and I can't even attend the funeral of my own father. If I came home I would immediately be in a two week quarantine. I'm just one of many it has now touched directly. One of many more who will be touched by it before this nightmare is over. My father wasn't young but he was in good physical health until this and more than likely still had years ahead of him.

Someone in China eats a bat then a year or so later my dad dies in Scotland because of it. The loss would have been hard at any time by any means. But this entire thing makes it an infinitely more bitter pill to swallow.

Sorry for your loss JFK :(  Wishing you strength in your time of sorrow.  

On 20/11/2020 at 05:01, JFK-1 said:

I will maintain an exile from this forum but will make this last post here the reason for doing so being it has a connection to my father. As with many fathers he was instrumental in making me a Rangers fan. Last Wednesday, November 11th, he tested positive for covid-19. Just 4 days later on Sunday November 15th he died in hospital.

For many and perhaps even most people including me the virus has become distant. Maybe especially so me since I'm living in a country where there's a culture of denial that it even exists.  It's just stories on the news which doesn't directly touch them aside from the restrictions it has imposed on everyday life.

Now it has touched me directly and I can't even attend the funeral of my own father. If I came home I would immediately be in a two week quarantine. I'm just one of many it has now touched directly. One of many more who will be touched by it before this nightmare is over. My father wasn't young but he was in good physical health until this and more than likely still had years ahead of him.

Someone in China eats a bat then a year or so later my dad dies in Scotland because of it. The loss would have been hard at any time by any means. But this entire thing makes it an infinitely more bitter pill to swallow.

JFK-1,

It's heartbreaking because it cannot be rationalised.

Your decision is correct because it works for you. This is a time for warm memories, your old man had a responsibility as a Father. He gave you necessary love and a number of dynamics. We call it conditioning. He introduced you to Rangers and the Rangers family. Regularly, we have experienced similar emotions. It's a smart move by your old man, providing you with a huge reservoir of support when needed. We wait for your return, knowing you bring your Dad with you. We know you, we know your Dad, like you know us. We are Rangers..

Looking forward to your return, knowing you'll bring your old man with you.

'Is Covid Racist?' is currently showing on Channel 4.

Two follow up documentaries are planned: 'Is Aids Homophobic?' and 'Is Cancer Sexist?'.

*I may have made the latter part up.

Edited by Gonzo79

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Two follow up documentaries are planned: 'Is Aids Homophobic?' and 'Is Cancer Sexist?'.

Black black black black black brown black black black black black black ....... do you give up yet?

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Talking about contrived political bullshit, during a period of weakness I was persuaded to watch a few episodes of The Crown, which also uses historical inaccuracy to deliver a thoroughly weaponised anti-monarchy statement. The problem is 90% of viewers will take it all in as historical fact.

54 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Princess Diana and her youngest son have done a decent enough job of that themselves. 

Suppose with Harry but IMO the marriage of Diana and Charles was the biggest failure of an "arranged marriage" in history,all for him to be provided with "heirs to the throne".

I am not anti royalist bust detest the "hangers on".

Covid is sexist:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-55016842

According to the UN, "In the month of September alone, in the US, something like 865,000 women dropped out of the labour force compared to 200,000 men, and most of that can be explained by the fact that there was a care burden and there's nobody else around.".

'Care burden' is an interesting choice of words.