The latest Chinese virus

I'm glad I didn't get vaccinated.  I've had Covid thrice (that I know of) and I never even had to take a day off work.  

It concerns me that people are so easily lead by politicians et al.  

Life's too short to live in fear.  

• 5 months later...

This new outbreak in china is looking rather concerning due to the information coming out that it’s not being slowed by being vaccinated now if it takes hold in Blighty we might be heading for a rough few months .

Mrs Sturgeon would relish it because it  could bring back lockdown’s or curbs and we all know how she loves to be in control.

41 minutes ago, compo said:

This new outbreak in china is looking rather concerning due to the information coming out that it’s not being slowed by being vaccinated now if it takes hold in Blighty we might be heading for a rough few months .

Mrs Sturgeon would relish it because it  could bring back lockdown’s or curbs and we all know how she loves to be in control.

Don't forget they have been using their own vaccine which many doubt its efficacy and it didn't get a licence for use in the West. Also China has caused its own problems by nearly 3 years of lockdowns - they just don't work. 

1 minute ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Compare and contrast with Africa where they have hardly vaccinated and generally just ignore COVID its not having much impact if any right now. Chinese are mad doing this.

It's hard to be sure what effect covid has had in some countries, where data is fundamentally unreliable, either due to poor recording or political manipulation. However, taking available data at face value, the contrast between the likes of (say) Egypt or Nigeria and European countries is staggering. Then on the other hand you have a similarly populous country like Mexico where infection and death rates have been higher than Europe. It's all hugely contradictory and hard to understand what's actually going on. It's tempting to think that regional genetic profiles have responded to Covid in very different ways.

The two party system of politics has done more to emasculate the population than anything else ever did. It keeps us engaged in the political game for no purpose while ensuring we never actually challenge the status quo at any meaningful level.

Basically, if you don't like this brand of shit then you can always vote for that brand of shit - it's the same shit but one comes in blue, the other in red. You think you're exercising choice but your role in the political system was thoroughly tamed long ago. 

Lockdowns are a tool to suppress a virus whilst you don't have a better solution (vaccine) - they're not ineffective, but they are a blunt tool and not without their own consequences.

Is the problem in China not (in part) about their continued pursuit of "zero covid"? 

They've all sorts of levels of lockdown and restrictions all across the country, which is a very tough ask after this length of time.  Mix in lots of state supervision and suppression, its no wonder that there was such a strong reaction to the building fire and the deaths seen recently.  And its seems seeing maskless supporters at the world cup has also jarred.

I read that the issue around the vaccine in China is two-fold - one that take up is nowhere near as high as others, and secondly as was alluded to above, there may be questions over its efficacy.  Did China ever get to a point where they could just live with the virus?

17 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Lockdowns are a tool to suppress a virus whilst you don't have a better solution (vaccine) - they're not ineffective, but they are a blunt tool and not without their own consequences.

Is the problem in China not (in part) about their continued pursuit of "zero covid"? 

They've all sorts of levels of lockdown and restrictions all across the country, which is a very tough ask after this length of time.  Mix in lots of state supervision and suppression, its no wonder that there was such a strong reaction to the building fire and the deaths seen recently.  And its seems seeing maskless supporters at the world cup has also jarred.

I read that the issue around the vaccine in China is two-fold - one that take up is nowhere near as high as others, and secondly as was alluded to above, there may be questions over its efficacy.  Did China ever get to a point where they could just live with the virus?

Not sure it has ever been allowed to try as "zero covid" is the preferred policy of the CCP.