The latest Chinese virus

4 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Daily we are getting reports of the increasing number of positive tests,expected with the numbers of testing going up,but no reports like before of hospitalised cases so what is the deal there.??

The only measure that matters with regards to new cases is the % of tests conducted that return a positive result. And it's rising sharply. Hospital admissions is also starting to rise but will in any case be lagging new confirmed cases by up to two weeks.

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

The only measure that matters with regards to new cases is the % of tests conducted that return a positive result. And it's rising sharply. Hospital admissions is also starting to rise but will in any case be lagging new confirmed cases by up to two weeks.

Agreed, but the number requiring intensive care has remained very low and deaths are a fraction of what they were.

So what is happening? Has treatment for severely affected patients changed? - yes it apparently has.

Is the virus any less virulent? - this is a view that is gaining support among epidemiologists.

Is the 6-9 million confirmed and suspected cases acting as a blocker, so herd immunity by default already started to happen - probably too early to tell.

I doubt we will see a properly tried and manufactured vaccine until Easter at the earliest so we can't all hide away until then. Protect the most vulnerable but everyone else can live their life. 

8 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I doubt we will see a properly tried and manufactured vaccine until Easter at the earliest so we can't all hide away until then. Protect the most vulnerable but everyone else can live their life. 

How do you protect them? Hide them away?

1 hour ago, compo said:

I don't think you wise a vaccine for a few years 

I think you'll see at least one Covid19 vaccine approved before the end of this year. How effective they are will only become apparent much later. It wouldn't surprise me to see people offered more than one vaccine. Whether you accept it will be another thing and no doubt there are homespun experts lining up to tell us the real function of these vaccines is to enslave mankind to work in the dilithium mines of the Neutral Zone.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

How do you protect them? Hide them away?

No care home to hospital back to care home transfers unless everyone tested (temperature) at each stage. This was the major cause of deaths in phase 1/early stages or whatever people want to call it. Hospital are already much better prepared/secure and have learnt from early days. People with extreme medical conditions have remained at home and will need to continue to do so (safeguarding i believe they call it). Everyone else can comply with guidelines however bizarre some of them seem to ensure and live as normally as these guidelines allow. Other than that we all hide away and the retail sector (apart from supermarkets..oh and amazon) turns to shite (technical term) and the economy takes another dive. We are slowly recovering each month and can't put that in jeopardy. 

This is a graph of the number of patients in hospital in Scotland with confirmed Covid19. On 11th September the total fell from 226 patients to only 45. Did the other 181 make a simultaneous recovery or have they been quietly shipped off to care homes again? Or is the SNP simply improving its image during challenging times?

Untitled 2.jpg