The latest Chinese virus

I think we're at the stage where containment is no long a practical option. Most of us can probably expect to to contract this disease at some stage in the next few months and a few obviously won't survive it. The death risk still seems uncertain but it's way beyond a normal winter flu, possibly a magnitude higher. If it does break out in the wider population I think we all know the NHS will be completely overwhelmed and isn't going to be able to help any more than a few of the very worst cases. Good luck.

I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly where this virus came from.

I think this could now be considered pandemic though it's not yet being officially described as such. We have reached a stage where more new cases are being reported outside China than inside. The WHO is still not saying it can't be contained but I think it's pretty obvious now that it can't be.

And as it spreads further afield the chances of it mutating to an even deadlier form increase. It's worrying.

Some experts are suggesting the virus may prove to be seasonal, like flu. If so we could expect to see it fade out as Spring approaches. But then if it returned again next year it's then endemic, again like flu. And may blight us permanently. Again like flu. 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

I can see a ban on all significant gatherings and restrictions of travel.

One of our audit committee members who was expected to travel from Houston to London has been refused his travel....

Me ?  Company paid for business class flights at $5,500 and I get to see my kid for the weekend.... screw it, I’m traveling for the same meeting ?

Death is nothing more than a timing event ?

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think this could now be considered pandemic though it's not yet being officially described as such. We have reached a stage where more new cases are being reported outside China than inside. The WHO is still not saying it can't be contained but I think it's pretty obvious now that it can't be.

And as it spreads further afield the chances of it mutating to an even deadlier form increase. It's worrying.

That same mutation may see it weaken rather than increase in intensity

13 hours ago, Bill said:

I think we're at the stage where containment is no long a practical option. Most of us can probably expect to to contract this disease at some stage in the next few months and a few obviously won't survive it. The death risk still seems uncertain but it's way beyond a normal winter flu, possibly a magnitude higher. If it does break out in the wider population I think we all know the NHS will be completely overwhelmed and isn't going to be able to help any more than a few of the very worst cases. Good luck.

I wonder if we'll ever find out exactly where this virus came from.

You may, or may not, find a clue in this video.

How about some 'rat-on-a-stick','bat-on-a-stick','Python steaks', dogs, cats, ... you get the idea?

Warning - somewhat stomach-churning ...