[FT] Hearts 2 - 1 Rangers (Kent 47)

Fair comment D'Art but it's still difficult to change a winning team, average performances or not.

Further, it's not like Jones or Docherty have ever really shown up when they have played, though neither have had much of an genuine run in the team.

It's worth noting though that I felt the bench was a bit light yesterday and someone like Docherty might have been useful to help us gain a foothold in the midfield with Davis and Kamara being so poor and Jack having to go off.  Instead we had Edmundson, Halliday and Polster, only two of whom I think should be needed.  

12 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Only positive for me was that Polster looked half decent. His distribution was good IMO

I don't think Polster is great, but going from yesterday's performance, he's got a better all-round game than Flanagan. 

I'd still say Flanagan is the better defender, though. 

9 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Although we played poorly I think some credit has to be given to how Hearts played. Unlike most teams we come against they did not use a defensive block.  Against these sorts of teams we can dictate the tempo, establish some rhythm and have the bulk of possession.  Hearts did not do that but instead they hassled our midfield and ensured they had little time on the  ball.  We thus got sucked into a scrappy game with the ball in the air a lot which does not suit our style.  In addition, they had Clare playing down the wing which restricted Barisic (an exception was our goal) thus negating one of our strengths.  On the other side Flanagan is not noted for his offensive qualities and thus the combination of these meant we were forced into a more restricted game.  Upfront we missed Morelos who can occupy the centre backs much more than Defoe who doesn't have the same physicality and who is now lacking a bit of pace and therefore is not able to outrun defenders.  As others have also noted hitting long balls into the box is not playing to Defoe's strength which is being a penalty box predator.

Picking up on a point may much earlier by Rousseau our lack of movement at throw-ins is dire making it difficult for players to have the time to make  a telling pass and spread the play.  Instead, we tend to become hemmed into a small area and it needs some bit of skill or ingenuity to make something happen. 

I read that Liverpool's throw-in coach has implemented a 5 second policy (they have to take the throw-in within 5 seconds of getting it, so opponents don't have a chance to set up).

I noted yesterday we had players standing with the ball in their hands for ages waiting for something to happen. Hearts were set.   

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think Polster is great, but going from yesterday's performance, he's got a better all-round game than Flanagan. 

I'd still say Flanagan is the better defender, though. 

You're probably right. I think Polster has played a lot in midfield before coming to us. I like the fact that he got his head up and was always trying to pass forward. For someone with so little game time, he could have easily opted for the safe options. 

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

Fair comment D'Art but it's still difficult to change a winning team, average performances or not.

Further, it's not like Jones or Docherty have ever really shown up when they have played, though neither have had much of an genuine run in the team.

It's worth noting though that I felt the bench was a bit light yesterday and someone like Docherty might have been useful to help us gain a foothold in the midfield with Davis and Kamara being so poor and Jack having to go off.  Instead we had Edmundson, Halliday and Polster, only two of whom I think should be needed.  

No theyve not but Docherty going out on loan and being voted player of the season at Shrewsbury, the loan club, kind of reinforces the question what they have to do to get ahead  of the pecking order when some are clearly underperforming. ?

Im surpised at SG given his previous comments in interviews about getting the shirt and ensuring performances warrant a plyer holding onto it.

I just checked it: Earth is still rotating. Despite what I read elsewhere after our defeat.

Anyway, After a certain time, the opposition teams sussed out how MW`s team played and how his players worked. Roundabout the turn of the year, Warburton`s Magic in the Premiership was gone. SG has assembled a far better team with better players, but IMHO still sticks far too often to  the same game-plan ... even if the players not always work. I had and have my reservations regarding Aribo in a right-sided attacking slot that ain't his prime role. Tav needs someone to work with and Jack usually supplies this if Aribo ain't close, Then again, it is asked of Aribo to go inside once the striker is being drawn away ... and Morelos is rather mobile up front. He sure is good there, but I wouldn't place him on a wing.

Now, the Hearts game was the usual hectic affair and they played their game and we tried to adapt, rather than forced our play upon them. Hence SG's comments. Too bad that our second striker, the more creative Stewart was/is injured. Too bad, that SG kept Ojo on the bench, rather than giving the Hearts backline more to think about. Too bad that Jack had to come off injured and we lost the chance to put Jones on.

When it comes to Wednesday, Ross County will provide the same stubborn rersistance that we saw at the Scumhut on Saturday. I'd keep Polster at right-back, who looked willing to create and go forward. Who can drop into the DM role if need be. Arfield looked willing and more like himself, so may keep a slot. Morelos will be back and add another dimension to our attack, even though the rest of the team should be able to cope with and in his absence. While we could very well stay with the "4-3-3" ... 4-2-3-1 line-up on Wednesday, I would ponder ...

McGregor

Polster - Goldson - Katic - Barisic

Aribo/Arfield - Davis

Ojo - Kent - Jones

Morelos

... with us switching to a 3-5-2 when we attack, and/or Polster dropping into a DM role near to Davis, while Aribo moves slightly further forward as ball-winner (which he can), distributor or option going forward like Jack does on occasion. The left wing is well covered, Jones may even go into a striker slot when Baraisic moves forward or Morelos comes to the flank. Kent in a more free, roving role. I suspect that the Stags won't come out to attack us too often, so we should have enough players in the attacking third to tear their wall down.

Edited by der Berliner