Rangers 2 - 1 Hibernian (Edmundson 45; Hagi 83)

I haven't had the chance to see the game yet as I was at work till midnight - am hoping to see it tonight.  However, Hagi's finish was sublime and not an easy take by any stretch.  Edmundson's goal shouldn't be forgotten either though - his was a fine half-volley finish in a crowded area, by a centre-back.  Excellent finishes for both goals.

57 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

IMHO, Kent has the pace and the trickery to play in and near a main striker. I would not play him as a straight left winger though. I'd try him more centrally with a bit of freedom to move about, not least in games where we do not need 2 holding / defensive midfielders. Get Jones on the wing instead.

For some reason we do not utilize the second striker / shadow striker role efficiently enough. In nigh every game there is space between the penalty spot and the goalie that ain't occupied by an attacker when the ball runs loose from a save, failed clearance or the like. It need not to be an outright-poacher. Jason Holt ran in there brilliantly in his first season with us, before being played ever deeper. IMHO, a perfect spot for Stewart. We sure need someone that is willing to shoot. Hagi did that, Stewart at every angle. Too much play in the first half was build-up and attempts at playing through them, rather than having a shot. Same story in the last 3 games in fact. Of course, no-one would talk about this had Aribo and Alfredo sunk their efforts. Still, why does it need games like yesterday - when the going gets tough and the minutes become enemies - that we change formations and throw real attackers on.

Interesting, I've had similar thoughts.  I see similarities with Lovenkrands in him.  Plenty of pace and ability, but possibly wasted put out on the wing.  BRing him into the middle and let him run at defenders and see where he gets to...

2 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

Interesting, I've had similar thoughts.  I see similarities with Lovenkrands in him.  Plenty of pace and ability, but possibly wasted put out on the wing.  BRing him into the middle and let him run at defenders and see where he gets to...

I never saw the game so can't comment too much - but would that not be where we would expect to see Hagi playing ?

1 minute ago, craig said:

I never saw the game so can't comment too much - but would that not be where we would expect to see Hagi playing ?

I think so, but with a single striker there's scope to play 2 in behind him perhaps.  A traditional diamond of LD,CD,CD,RD,LM,DMC,RM,AMC,ST,ST could be changed to LD,CD,CD,RD,LM,DMC,RM,AMC,AMC,ST and with Kent and Hagi in the AMC roles could be quite effective...  Pete always played best in that kind of role and I think Kent could be very similar in some sense

4 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

I think so, but with a single striker there's scope to play 2 in behind him perhaps.  A traditional diamond of LD,CD,CD,RD,LM,DMC,RM,AMC,ST,ST could be changed to LD,CD,CD,RD,LM,DMC,RM,AMC,AMC,ST and with Kent and Hagi in the AMC roles could be quite effective...  Pete always played best in that kind of role and I think Kent could be very similar in some sense

That's how we play now; the 4-3-2-1. 

57 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

A bad disciplinary record, I believe. 

Was Alex Cropley another around that time? Went to the Villa, I think. 

Cropley was round about that time, early 70s and as you say, went to the Villa where he did well. Peter Marinello, another gifted player, went to Arsenal but didn’t do much, too slightly built.

Hibs had a few seasons with some really good players. Peter Cormack a few years earlier was a big success at Forest and Liverpool. 

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Cropley was round about that time, early 70s and as you say, went to the Villa where he did well. Peter Marinello, another gifted player, went to Arsenal but didn’t do much, too slightly built.

Hibs had a few seasons with some really good players. Peter Cormack a few years earlier was a big success at Forest and Liverpool. 

Don't forget Des Bremner, who, I think, also went to the Villa from Hibs, and lifted a League Championship, and a European Cup. 

1 minute ago, Uilleam said:

Don't forget Des Bremner, who, I think, also went to the Villa from Hibs, and lifted a League Championship, and a European Cup. 

I had forgotten Bremner. Started at Deveronvale! All downhill after that.