UEFA Youth League: Rangers u19s 0 - 4 Atletico Madrid

• Frankie changed the title to UEFA Youth League: Rangers u19s 0 - 4 Atletico Madrid

I felt there was a bit of similarity with the first team.  The passing game in the midfield and retention of possession was good (especially given the state of the pitch) but we lacked that cutting edge in the final third.  No one seemed capable of getting on the ball and playing that incisive pass to runners but instead we tended to be slow in moving the ball forward and gave the Atletico defence time to regroup and crowd us out.   I also thought the Rangers defence did not seem that strong with a number of poor or hurried clearances. 

I can't help but feel that getting cuffed by Athletico Madrid is much better preparation for our young players than horsing Thistle in the Glasgow Cup. The harder the matches these boys play the better, it shouldn't be about winning leagues or even matches at that level, but improving them as players. 

Why do our youngsters always look so physically under-developed?

Some of these young English lads that I see coming through are built like a Brick Shithouse.

It's no reflection of talent or technique, but it is a big part of the game; and perhaps one of the things that keeps them from making the step up to the first team earlier. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Some of these young English lads that I see coming through are built like a Brick Shithouse.

It's no reflection of talent or technique, but it is a big part of the game; and perhaps one of the things that keeps them from making the step up to the first team earlier. 

Aye it looks like our lads could do with a good feed of stew and doughballs 

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I wonder the same thing when I see Scottish youth sides up against opposition from England or mainland Europe.

Is late development genetic amongst Scots?  Are we just a bit smaller and skinnier?  It does look that way.

Braved the cold at Firhill and enjoyed much of Atletico’s play with Riquelme easily the best player on the pitch. Having missed a sitter to take the lead, our young lads didn’t cover themselves in glory with their defending at the first goal and whilst having a good deal of the ball lacked a cutting edge going forward. Nathan Paterson was taken to the cleaners for the second goal and from then on it was an uphill task as Atletico sat back and defended until some tiredness contributed to Rangers shipping another two goals.

Undoubtedly, they missed the likes of Lewis Mayo but I couldn’t help but feel that there was a lot of unnecessary touches on the ball coupled with the fact that a combination of Mebude being largely isolated and some excellent and uncompromising defending from the visitors meant that Rangers were pretty toothless.

It would’ve been interesting to see if a booking for persistent fouling by their number four would have had an impact on Rangers attacking prowess.

Nevertheless, a steep learning curve for Murty’s young charges.

Edited by Soulsonic5791